American University Experience
ESL Youth Program
Are you a secondary school student, aged 15-17 years old, who would like to learn more about studying at a top U.S. university while improving your English for academic purposes?
American University Experience is a summer 2-week UC San Diego academic and residential immersion program that focuses on developing your academic English and critical thinking skills while also experiencing university campus life in Southern California. Study at UC San Diego, live in the dorms, receive admissions advising, and visit Southern California universities. Prospective American University Experience students must have an intermediate level of English.
THIS PROGRAM HAS BEEN CLOSED FOR SUMMER 2020; HOWEVER, IT WILL RUN IN 2021. PLEASE CHECK BACK FOR THE SUMMER 2021 DATES.
What this program includes
- On-campus housing
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner at campus cafeteria
- Academic English language instruction each weekday
- Chaperoned field trips to universities and cultural sights
- Guest speakers on American social and academic culture
- Discussions with current matriculated UC San Diego students
- U.S. university admission workshops, including advising on applying to UC San Diego
- Transportation to and from scheduled field trips
- Constant adult supervision
- All instructional materials
- Summer 2020: July 12 – 25 (2 weeks) Closed
Admission is on a space-available basis.
Below, please find the minimum acceptance requirements for American University Experience (AUE). We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that all students who are admitted to the AUE program have a successful experience. Please submit all required admission documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit an incomplete application.
Note: Do not organize flights or pay your tuition until you have received an official acceptance to the program.
Language Proficiency Requirements:
- To be accepted to American University Experience, you must first take an online English proficiency test to demonstrate that you have at least intermediate English proficiency. Contact email@example.com in order to access the test.
- Provide a completed English Recommendation Form from a secondary school English instructor, verifying you have an intermediate English proficiency level equivalent to a B1 on the CEFR. This form is included in the 2020 American University Experience (AUE) Application.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- 2 weeks
- Monday – Friday classes, with evening and weekend activities
- This program does not qualify for an I-20, and an F-1 student visa is not needed
- Example schedule for American University Experience
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- 2020 Tuition (2 weeks): $3,900 (This price includes tuition, activities, on-campus meals, shared-bedroom housing in dormitories, and chaperones on all field trips and in residence with the students at all times.)
- International Student Service fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance (2 weeks): $90
- San Diego airport pick-up fee: $75 (if needed)
- Transportation to San Diego airport for departure: $75 (if needed)
- Additional shared-bedroom housing one night before the program start-date: $85 (if needed)