Who should take this program?
The expanding field of business analytics is fundamental to all facets of business across all industries, including marketing, finance, and research. If you would like to acquire a comprehensive introduction to the vast business intelligence field, the one-quarter Business Analytics Certificate may be right for you. Designed for professionals with a university degree or at least two years of work experience, this program will include advanced topics such as Big Data and Predictive Analytics. Pair the 3-month Business Analytics Certificate program with other Business certificates for a total of 9 months to take advantage of Optional Practical Training.
- Develop Business Analytics skills and knowledge for improved career marketability
- Hands-on experiential project connects your classroom education with real-world businesses
- Courses are led by practicing industry experts
- Study alongside international and American students and build your network
- Schedules are designed to give you the freedom to explore California and the opportunity to attend local professional networking events
- Apply for OPT after three consecutive quarters of study (9 months)
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
Business Analytics Program Overview
- Overview of Business Intelligence and Data Analysis
- Introduction to SQL Programming
- Advanced Excel for Analysis and Business Intelligence
- Dashboards and Data Visualization for Data Analysis
- Business Intelligence Project
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice. Check out the Business Analytics course descriptions.
- Summer: June 17 - September 12 - All instruction will be by remote learning, either asynchronously or on Pacific Standard Time, due to the COVID-19 situation.
- Winter: January 5 - March 19
- Summer: June 17 - September 3
View a complete list of all program dates.
The minimum requirements to be accepted to the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Proof of Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- TOEIC: 760
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate: Pass
- PTE: 64
- Duolingo English Test: 105
- ELI Core Level: 108
Additional Admission Requirements
- University degree or two years of professional work experience
- Official university transcripts, in English, from all universities attended, indicating a strong academic history; include a grading key.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field. Must be signed and dated and on academic or company letterhead.
- Résumé or CV
- Essay: minimum 200 words explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- A spoken language screening may be required.
- Prospective students who choose to attend English language courses at the UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI) in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score will need recommendation from the ELI advisor.
There are no final application deadlines to apply for these programs, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all available seats are taken.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near the campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application fee: $200 (non-refundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020 Tuition: $7,000
- 2021 Tuition: $7,050
- International Student Service fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment for books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance. Books will be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)