Who should take this course?
Students and professionals who want to improve English fluency through business content studies will benefit from the Business English program.
Students with high-intermediate and advanced English proficiency are welcome to take this program. All new students must take an online placement test to determine their English level before starting the Business English. The placement test is part of the required online pre-arrival orientation. Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (high-beginner, pre-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
- January 10 - February 4
- February 7 - March 4
- July 5 - 29 (July 4 is a holiday)
- August 1 - 26
- October 17 - November 11
- November 14 - December 9
View a complete list of all program dates.
- 15* or 20 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
Be prepared to work in teams while improving presentation skills, negotiating, meeting skills, vocabulary, and writing while surveying topics such as:
- American business and entrepreneurship
- Management and leadership
- International Trade
- Human Resources
This program includes guest speakers and visits to local businesses. Guest speaker dates and company visits vary according to availability and current campus guidelines.
In the 15-hour* per week part-time Business English schedule, business writing and some projects will be omitted; guest speakers and field trips will also vary according to availability during the schedule of this less intensive program.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- Part-time Tuition: $2,050 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)*, OR
- Full-timeTuition: $2,300 (20 hours per week / 100 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
* The part-time program is not eligible for the Form I-20.