Who should take this course?
Students and professionals who want to improve English fluency through business content studies will benefit from the Business English program. Students with high-intermediate and advanced English proficiency are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during orientation, when the student first arrives at the UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). Students who do not obtain the required English level proficiency for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
Can I use my tourist (B) visa or ESTA to attend this program?
If you plan to come to the U.S. mainly for tourism, but you also want to improve your English, you can apply to this 4-week program with reduced weekly hours. Instead of 25 hours of instruction per week, you will have 15 hours per week.
Remaining 2018 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- March 4 - 28
- July 1 - 26
- July 29 - August 23
- 25 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
Be prepared to work in teams while improving presentation skills, negotiating, meeting skills, business vocabulary, and business writing while surveying topics such as:
- American Business
- International Trade
- Human Resources
This program includes expert guest speakers and visits to local businesses. Guest speaker dates and company visits vary according to availability.
In the 15-hour/week part-time Business English schedule, business writing and some projects will be omitted; guest speakers and field trips will also vary according to availability during the schedule of this less intensive program.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- 2018 Tuition: $2,200 (25 hours per week / 100 hours total)
- 2018 Tuition: $1,950 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)
- 2019 Tuition: $2,300 (25 hours per week / 100 hours total)
- 2019 Tuition: $2,050 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)
- 2018 International Student Service Fee: $140
- 2019 International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)