Business Management Pre-Master's
Who should take this certificate?
If you would like to continue on to an advanced Business degree in the United States, the Business Management Pre-Master's track will give you Conditional Nomination to master's programs at the UC San Diego Rady School of Management. This program offers you the opportunity to build job skills and knowledge and prepare for graduate studies through an extensive introduction to U.S. business practices. In the second quarter, you choose to specialize in one of the following areas: Finance, Marketing, International Business, Business Analytics and Leadership, or Accounting. To complement your classroom experience, Business Management incorporates a 120-hour internship into the program.
- Receive Conditional Nomination to Rady School of Management upon acceptance to the Pre-Master's track
- Develop solid business management skills with specialization in a field of your choice
- Practitioner-led instruction for foundational and advanced business, quantitative, leadership, and teamwork skills
- Complement your studies and build your professional contacts by completing a 120-hour unpaid internship at a local company.
- Study alongside international and American students
- After two quarters, receive a Professional Certificate in Business Management with a specialization in Finance, Marketing, Accounting, Business Analytics, Leadership, or International Business.
- Through the Rady School of Management, students will have the option to apply to the Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Science in Business Analytics, and Master of Finance.
- Apply for Optional Practical Training after three consecutive quarters of study
- Students who receive official nomination continue on to Rady School of Management will receive a fellowship for the amount of $10,000 to be applied toward tuition costs at Rady.
2020 Program Dates Coming Soon!!
The minimum requirements to be accepted in the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
- TOEFL iBT: 90
- IELTS: 7.0
- PTE: 65
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Completion of a 4-year bachelor's degree before the published program start-date
- No work experience required, but highly preferred for the MBA program.
- Your official university transcripts in English indicating a strong academic history; include a grading key.
- If you have pursued graduate-level coursework or degrees, you must include those transcripts as well.
- Two dated and signed letters of recommendation on academic or company letterhead from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field
- Résumé or curriculum vitae (CV)
- Essay: minimum of 500 words. Instructions will be coming soon.
- A spoken language phone screening may be required. This can be conducted in person if you are already in San Diego; otherwise, it will be done by phone or Skype.
- Completion of the 2020 Pre-Master's Supplemental Application. This application will be required along with the 2020 International Programs application. Both applications will be available in June 2019.
Do you have questions about the requirements or procedures for the Pre-Master's program? If so, download our FAQ document.
Business Management Pre-Master's Overview:
1st Quarter (12-15 units)
- Elements of Marketing
- Financial Accounting for Non-Accountants (FAFNA) or Accounting I
- Organizational Behavior
- GRE exam preparation
- Internship preparation
2nd Quarter (12-15 units)
Required courses and internship experience:
- Business Decision-Making
- Leadership course
- International Business
- Business Analytics and Leadership
- U.S. Academic Preparation Workshop(s)
- 120 hours of Internship
Two required courses in area of specialization:
3rd Quarter (12-15 units)
If you successfully complete two quarters of Business Management, you can further develop your skills in an area of specialization and earn a Certificate of Completion in Advanced Studies.
- Capstone course in area of specialization
- Two advanced Business course in area of specialization
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice. For course descriptions, please click here.
For the winter quarter program, beginning January 3, 2020, applications must be received by the recommended deadline of November 15, 2019. Do you have more questions? If so, review our FAQ document.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near to campus. Access to a car or another reliable source of transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- Two-Quarter Tuition: TBD
- Three-Quarter Tuition: TBD