Communication & Culture
Who should take this course?
Students who have a general interest in improving their English fluency, ability to speak and understand everyday spoken English, and increase their knowledge of American culture, will benefit from the Communication and Culture English language program.
All levels of English proficiency (levels 1 - 8) are welcome to take this program. All new students must take an online placement test to determine their English level before starting the Communication & Culture program. The placement test is part of the required online pre-arrival orientation.
- January 3 - March 4
- March 14 - May 13
- May 23 - July 22
- August 1 - September 30
- October 10 - December 9
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 a.m.– 3:20 p.m.
- 9 weeks – 15*, 20, or 25 hours per week (the first week is in-person orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- Classes for fluency and comprehension
- Everyday speaking and understanding
- American society and culture
- Wide variety of elective courses
Elective Courses - Students choose 1 elective (depending on English proficiency level)
- American Music
- American Film
- Idioms and Slang
- Everyday English
- American Culture
- Oral Presentations
- Pronunciation and Fluency
- Idioms and Slang
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
*The part-time program does not qualify for the form I-20.
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- Part-time Tuition: $3,000 (15 hours per week / 120 hours total)*, OR
- Full-time Tuition: $3,200 (20 hours per week / 160 hours total), OR
- Full-time Tuition: $3,700 (25 hours per week / 200 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250-$400
(Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)