Who should take this course?
Students who wish to improve fluency and conversation skills in English will benefit from the Conversation and Conversation and Fluency programs. For those students who wish to have a less intensive English language program, the Conversation program is only 10 hours per week and includes two field trips. For a more intensive program, try our 15- or 20-hour per week Conversation and Fluency Program. All levels of English proficiency are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI).
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 6 - 31
- February 3 - 28
- March 2 - 26
- July 6 - 31 - CANCELED due to COVID-19
- August 3 - 28 - All instruction will be delivered by remote learning (no in-class instruction) due to the COVID-19 situation. Open to students living anywhere inside or outside of the U.S. All instruction will be according to the schedule in Pacific Standard Time (PST), so students should be ready to "attend" classes by videoconferencing at various times between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PST. Students in this program will be integrated in to the 8-week program.
- August 31 - September 25
- November 23 - December 18
- January 4 - 29
- February 1 - 26
- March 1 - 25
- July 6 - 30
- August 2 - 27
- August 30 - September 24
- November 22 - December 17
- Monday – Friday
- 10 hours per week plus 2 field trips
- Schedule varies depending on English level
Note: This is a part-time English language program and does not meet the requirements to obtain the I-20 for the F-1 student visa.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- 2020/2021 Tuition: $1,500
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Advisory About Variable Enrollments
Enrollment numbers in our Academic, Conversation, and Conversation and Fluency programs vary greatly from month to month. If our placement tests indicate that your English proficiency level does not permit placement in the original 4-week program class, we may place you in 4 weeks of study in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program, or we may provide a combination of classes and individual tutoring to ensure a program of 10 hours per week for 4 weeks. Alternatively, we may decide to place all 4-week program students in level-appropriate classes in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week program in order to provide a program of 10 hours per week for 4 weeks. When this happens the students’ 4-week program will have the features described for the new 4- or 8-week program, not the features described for the original program. The tuition and fees for the students’ 4-week program enrollment will remain the same.