English for Engineering and Technology
Who should take this course?
University-level students from the engineering or computer science fields who would like to improve their English through the study of various science and technology topics would benefit from English for Engineering and Technology. Students will learn to effectively communicate in English in scientific discussion and gain valuable technical writing skills from this program. High-intermediate and advanced levels of English proficiency are welcome to apply to this program. Students who do not obtain the required English level proficiency for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
- July 6 - 31 - CANCELED due to COVID-19
- August 3 - 28 - CANCELED due to COVID-19
- January 4 - 29
- February 1 - 26
- July 6 - 30
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies
English for Engineering and Technology will help you advance your engineering and technology vocabulary and technical writing skills, communicate well in scientific discussion. Study topics may include:
- Renewable energy
- Digital information
- Satellite communication
- Blockchain technology and cryptocurrency
- Automated driving systems
- Aerial robotics
- Artificial intelligence
- Mechanical design
- Design materials
- Computer software engineering
- Technical writing
In the 15-hour/week part-time English for Engineering and Technology schedule, technical writing and some projects will be omitted.
San Diego has one of the most diverse innovation and technology economies in the world and, as one of the top research universities in the world, UC San Diego plays a central role in the technology industry of the city. UC San Diego is home to the Qualcomm Institute, the San Diego Supercomputer Center (with one of the fastest supercomputers in the world), the Jacobs School of Engineering, the California Center for Algae Biotechnology, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and the top Bio-medical engineering program in the U.S.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- 2020/2021 Tuition: $2,600 (full-time: 20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- 2020/2021 Tuition: $2,300 (part-time: 15 hours per week / 60 hours total)
- Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)