Graduate School Preparation Academy
Who should take this course?
The Graduate School Preparation Academy (GSPA) focuses on preparing you to enter a master’s degree program at a highly selective and competitive American university. GSPA students have a rigorous course load focused on writing, research, and speaking excellence. You will develop the skills necessary to meet the high expectations of faculty and peers at America's top universities. Students with Advanced levels of English proficiency are welcome to apply to this program. Your English proficiency is determined during the first week of the program.
Additional Admission Requirements
- You must submit copy of transcripts in English for the four most recent semesters of academic studies. These transcripts must show excellent grades, and that you are in the top 5-10% of your school.
- For guaranteed enrollment, students must provide one of the following: TOEFL iBT score of 80 or IELTS score of 6.5 or PTE score of 64 or pass on Cambridge Advance Exam.
Remaining 2020 Dates
- August 3 - 28* - Live Online
- August 31 - September 25* - Live Online
*Open only to students who are already physically present in the U.S. Students may transfer to this program from another English language school in the U.S. All instruction will be by remote learning (no in-class instruction) due to the COVID-19 situation
For the definitions of "Live Online," "Hybrid," "In-Class," and other course types, please see our Courses & Programs page.
- June 7 - July 2
- July 6 - 30
- August 2 - 27
View a complete list of all program dates.
- 4 weeks
- 20 hours per week
- Monday – Friday
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- Can be taken for one or two quarters
- Students are prepared to enter master degree programs in highly selective and competitive American universities.
- Matches your goals and record of achievement to university admission standards
- Assistance choosing degree program
- Guidance in the application process to ensure timely and complete submission of university application materials
Graduate School Preparation Academy classes may include:
- Paraphrasing and Summarizing
- Critical Analysis and Discussion
- Synthesis and Critical Response
- Discussion and Fluency for University Success
- University Lecture and Note-taking Skills
Concentrated Academic Skills classes may include:
- Academic Reading and Writing
- Public Speaking Skills
- Advanced Vocabulary Skills
- Advanced Grammar Skills
The 4-week Graduate School Preparation Academy (GSPA) may be taken twice, in two consecutive sessions, for all GSPA classes and maximum benefit.
Students who complete one or two sessions in the Graduate School Preparation Academy have the opportunity to continue their studies at the UC San Diego English Language Institute until they receive university admission. Students may enroll in Intensive Academic English, Summer University Program, or University and Professional Studies following one or two quarters in the Academy.
Note: Courses are offered on a rotation and course offerings will depend on the session you enter the program. ELI reserves the right to make changes to the program and course offerings because of enrollments and individual student needs.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020/2021 Tuition: $2,300
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)