Intensive Academic English
This program will offer in-person classes in Winter 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Students who plan to enter an American university or professionals who want to improve their professional writing skills will benefit from the Intensive Academic English program. All students must be prepared to work on English fluency and academic skill development. Students who have advanced English proficiency will have more elective choices than those students who have high-beginning to intermediate proficiency. All levels of English proficiency (levels 1 - 8) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during the first week of the program (week 0).
- January 4 - March 5
- March 15 - May 14 (March 26 is a holiday)
- May 24 - July 23 (May 31 and July 5 are a holidays)
- August 2 - October 1
- October 11 - December 10
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 15 or 25 hours per week (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- Grammar (levels 1-4)
- Academic Reading and Writing (levels 5 - 6)
- Research Writing (levels 7 - 8)
- Academic skills classes chosen by students including:
- Academic Listening and Note-taking
- Conversation (with Conversation Leaders)
- Academic Presentations
- Advanced Grammar Seminar
- Critical Inquiry and Response
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- Tuition: $3,500 (25 hours per week / 200 hours total)
- Part-time Tuition: $3,000 (15 hours per week / 120 hours total)*
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
* Part-time program is not eligible for the Form I-20.