Intensive Business English
Who should take this course?
Professionals and students who wish to learn English through business topics and business skills development will benefit from the Intensive Business English program. The curriculum includes fundamentals of the English language, plus specialized courses in business such as marketing and finance. Advanced levels of English proficiency (ELI core levels 108-110) are welcome to take this program. Student’s English proficiency is determined during the first week of the program (week 0). Students who do not obtain the required English level proficiency for this program will be transferred to another 8-week program.
2019 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 2 - March 1
- March 11 - May 10
- October 7 - December 6
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- 25 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
Advanced ELI core levels 108-110:
- Core class focused on American Business Studies
- Business Writing
- Case Studies in Business
- Business Reading and Discussion
- Academic Listening and Note-taking
- Idioms for Business
- Language for Business and Finance
- Negotiation and Debate
- Presentations for Business
- Test preparation: TOEFL, IELTS, or TOEIC
- Vocabulary for Business and Finance
Classes chosen are dependent on the student’s English proficiency level and options available.
- Intensive Business English can be taken only two times. This program is strictly for students interested in learning English through business topics and business skills development. This is primarily an English language program.
- To guarantee enrollment in the Intensive Business English program, submit a language proficiency score of 85 on the TOEFL iBT, 7.0 IETLS, 68 PTE, or a “pass” on either the Cambridge Advanced (CAE) or the Cambridge Proficiency exams. Students who do not submit a language proficiency score will take the program only if they are placed in the most advanced levels (core 108 – 110) on the ELI placement test offered during orientation week.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2019 Tuition: $3,800
- 2019 International Student Service Fee: $380
- 2019 UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)