Intensive Communication & Culture
This program will offer in-person classes in Fall 2020, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Students who have a general interest in improving their English fluency, ability to speak and understand everyday spoken American English, and increase their knowledge of American culture will benefit from this program. All levels of English proficiency (ELI core levels 99-110) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency level is determined during the first week of the program (week 0).
- July 27 - September 25 - Live Online
- October 5 - December 4 - Hybrid schedule of In-Class and Live Online courses
For the definitions of "Live Online," "Hybrid," "In-Class," and other course types, please see our Courses & Programs page.
- January 4 - March 5
- March 15 - May 14
- May 24 - July 23
- August 2 - October 1
- October 11 - December 10
Check out a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- 6 hour core class
- focused on grammar (ELI core levels 99-103)
- focused on fluency (ELI core levels 104-110)
- 4 hour required class
- focused on listening (ELI core levels 99-103)
- focused on grammar (ELI core levels 104-110)
15-hours of elective classes chosen by students including:
- Discussion through film
- English through Volunteering and Leadership*
- Everyday English
- Fluency and Pronunciation
- Idioms and Slang
- Phrasal Verbs
- Practical Communication Skills
- Public Speaking and Presentations
- Test Preparation: TOEFL/IELTS
- University Study Skills
- Vocabulary Development
*English through Volunteering and Leadership is offered to core levels 105-110. Students who take this elective will gain over 35 hours of volunteer experience in the local, non-profit, community, further practicing their English outside of the classroom with native speakers and building valuable leadership skills.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020/2021 Tuition: $3,500
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250-$400 (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)