Intensive Communication & Culture
This program will offer in-person classes in Summer 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Students who have a general interest in improving their English fluency, ability to speak and understand everyday spoken American English, and increase their knowledge of American culture will benefit from this program.
All levels of English proficiency (levels 1 - 8) are welcome to take this program. All new students must take an online placement test to determine their English level before starting the Intensive Communication & Culture. The placement test is part of the required online pre-arrival orientation.
- May 24 - July 23 (May 31 and July 5 are a holidays)
- August 2 - October 1
- October 11 - December 10
For the 2022 dates and prices, please see the 25-hour per week Communication & Culture option.
Check out a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is in-person orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
Elective classes chosen by students including:
- Conversation (with Conversation Leaders)
- Idioms and Slang
- Volunteering and Leadership*
- Exploring San Diego
*English through Volunteering and Leadership is offered high-intermediate to advanced students only. Students who take this elective will gain over 35 hours of volunteer experience in the local, non-profit, community, further practicing their English outside of the classroom with native speakers and building valuable leadership skills.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- Tuition: $3,500
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250-$400 (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)