Intensive Legal English
Who should take this course?
If you have advanced English proficiency and you would like to improve your English skills while learning about the U.S. legal system, then the Intensive Legal English program is the program for you. Advanced levels of English proficiency (ELI core levels 108-110) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during testing on the first day of the program (week 0). Students who do not obtain the required English level proficiency for this program will be transferred to another 8-week program.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Students must submit a brief statement to explain previous law-related coursework or work experience, and purpose of taking this program.
- 2019/2020: Academic transcripts of the four most recent semesters
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 2 - February 28
- March 9 - May 8
- October 5 - December 4
- March 15 - May 14
- October 11 - December 10
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on classes chosen
- In the event that the program is canceled due to low enrollments, participants will have the opportunity to enroll in one of our other 8-week English language programs.
- Advanced Legal English course includes the following topics:
- Review of the U.S. legal systems
- The court system and trial procedures
- Landmark cases
- Social/cultural trends that affect the law
- Required: Grammar class
Elective classes may include:
- Advanced case studies in business
- Academic Writing
- Business Presentation Skills
- Business Reading and Discussion
- Idioms for Business
- Negotations and Debate
- Oral Presentations
- Vocabulary for Business and Finance
- Test Preparation: TOEFL, IELTS, or TOEIC
- This program can be taken only one time.
- To guarantee enrollment in the Intensive Legal English program, submit a language proficiency score of 85 on the TOEFL iBT, 7.0 IETLS, 68 PTE, or a “pass” on either the Cambridge Advanced (CAE) or the Cambridge Proficiency exams. Students who do not submit a language proficiency score will take the program only if they are placed in the most advanced levels (core 108 – 110) on the ELI placement test offered during orientation week.
Announcing LLM Partnership
Students who complete this program with strong grades and references from all UC San Diego English Language Institute instructors may be eligible for conditional admission to the California Western School of Law, the University of San Diego (USD) School of Law, or the University of Arizona College of Law. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020/2021 Tuition: $4,000
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)