Intensive Legal English
This program will offer in-person classes in Winter 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
If you have advanced English proficiency and you would like to improve your English skills while learning about the U.S. legal system, then the Intensive Legal English program is the program for you. Advanced levels of English proficiency (level 6 - 8) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during testing on the first day of the program (week 0). Students who do not obtain the required English level proficiency for this program will be transferred to another 8-week program.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Students must submit a brief statement to explain previous law-related coursework or work experience, and purpose of taking this program.
- March 15 - May 14 (March 26 is a holiday)
- October 11 - December 10
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on classes chosen
- In the event that the program is canceled due to low enrollments, participants will have the opportunity to enroll in one of our other 8-week English language programs.
- Directed Studies in Law
- Negotiation and Debate
- This program can be taken only one time.
- To guarantee enrollment in the Intensive Legal English program, submit a language proficiency score of 80 on the TOEFL iBT or a 6.5 IETLS. Students who do not submit a language proficiency score will take the program only if they are placed in the most advanced levels (levels 6 - 8) on the ELI placement test offered during orientation week.
Announcing LLM Partnership
Students who complete this program with strong grades and references from all UC San Diego English Language Institute instructors may be eligible for conditional admission to the California Western School of Law, the University of San Diego (USD) School of Law, or the University of Arizona College of Law. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- Tuition: $4,000
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)