Intensive Legal English
Who should take this course?
If you have advanced English proficiency, previous studies in Western law or Western civilization, and you would like to improve your English skills while learning about the U.S. legal system, then the Intensive Legal English program is the program for you. Advanced levels of English proficiency (ELI core levels 108-110) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during testing on the first day of the program (week 0). Starting in January 2018, Intensive Legal English will switch from 10-week sessions to 8-week sessions.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Students must submit a brief statement to explain previous law-related coursework or work experience, and purpose of taking this program.
- Students must have previous studies in Western law or Western civilization for admission into this program
2018 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 3 – March 2
- March 5 – May 4
- October 8 – December 7
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- In 2018: 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on classes chosen
- In the event that the program is canceled due to low enrollments, participants will have the opportunity to enroll in one of our other 8-week English language programs.
- Special nine-hour core class providing:
- an introduction to or a review of the U.S. legal systems
- trial procedures
- landmark cases
- social/cultural trends that affect the law
- guest lectures by legal scholars and practicing attorneys
- readings, vocabulary study, and discussion
- participant presentations
- class excursions to a courthouse or other sites related to local law services
- Required: Grammar or Advanced Vocabulary and Discussion through Film (4 hours)
12 hours of class chosen from a list of elective classes which may include the following advanced courses:
- Business Reading and Discussion
- Idioms and Slang
- Academic Writing
- Reading Skills
- Discussion through American Music
- IELTS Reading and Writing
- Oral Presentations
- Business Presentation Skills
- Advanced Vocabulary
- Vocabulary for Business and Finance
- Spelling and Punctuation
- TOEFL Preparation
- This program can be taken only one time.
- To guarantee enrollment in the Intensive Legal English program, submit a language proficiency score of 85 on the TOEFL iBT, 7.0 IETLS, or a “pass” on either the Cambridge Advanced (CAE) or the Cambridge Proficiency exams. Students who do not submit a language proficiency score will take the program only if they are placed in the most advanced levels (core 108 – 110) on the ELI placement test offered during orientation week.
Announcing LLM Partnership
Students who complete this program with strong grades and references from all UC San Diego English Language Institute instructors may be eligible for conditional admissions to the California Western School of Law, Thomas Jefferson School of Law, and the University of San Diego (USD) School of Law. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2018 Tuition (8 weeks): 3,800
- International Student Service Fee: $350
- 2018 UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $405
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)