Who should take this course?
If you would like to take a combination of advanced English language courses and university and/or university extension credit courses, you will benefit from the Intensive Pre-University (IPU) program. Take one or two university classes in almost any department on the UC San Diego campus while improving your academic English at a very high level. Study alongside UC San Diego students who are enrolled in Bachelor or Master degree programs as well as other international students who share similar academic goals.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Students must achieve an advanced level (core level 109-110) of UC San Diego-ELI proficiency with certain minimum scores on UC San Diego-ELI’s writing and and listening placement tests (equivalent to 80 iBT or IELTS 7.0). To guarantee admission, new students can submit one of the following test scores: 80 TOEFL iBT, 7.0 IELTS, or a "pass" on the CAE.
- Copy of transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies. These transcripts must show excellent grades, and that the student is in the top 10% of his/her school.
- Continuing students must have excellent grades and attendance in previous UC San Diego-ELI classes
2018 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 4 – March 29
- March 26 – June 22
- June 18 – September 21
- September 19 – December 15
- 11-12 weeks
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- 9 – 17 hours of English language instruction per week
- 1 – 2 University or University Extension courses per week (enrollment is on a space-available basis; credits may be transferable to degree programs)
- Core classes for fluency and comprehension
- Wide variety of courses for academic preparation and cultural understanding
Note: In the summer, this program may only be taken with a combination of English classes and UC San Diego Extension classes. Regular university classes are not available in the program in the summer.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- Tuition: $5,900
- International Student Service Fee: $350
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)