Intensive TOEFL Preparation
Who should take this course?
Students and professionals who would like to focus on preparing for the internet-based TOEFL test will benefit from the Intensive TOEFL Preparation program. High-intermediate to advanced levels of English proficiency (ELI core levels 105-110) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during the first week of the program (week 0). Students who do not obtain the required English level proficiency for this program will be transferred to the Intensive Academic English, Communication and Culture, or Intensive Communication and Culture program.
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 2 - February 28
- March 9 - May 8
- May 18 - July 17
- July 27 - September 25
- October 5 - December 4
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- TOEFL iBT Preparation Integrated Skills Tasks – Writing and Speaking
- TOEFL iBT Preparation Independent Skills Tasks – Writing, Speaking, and Listening
- TOEFL iBT Preparation Reading and Vocabulary
- Core class focusing on fluency
- Elective course focused on vocabulary development (options available upon arrival)
Students may take the Institutional paper-based TOEFL test at the UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI) for an additional fee of $75 USD (price subject to change). The internet-based (iBT) TOEFL is available at several official testing sites in San Diego for an additional fee of $140 USD (price subject to change).
Note: This program can only be taken two times in levels 105-110.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020 Tuition: $3,500
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance for: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)