Intensive TOEFL Preparation
This program will offer in-person classes in Winter 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Students and professionals who would like to focus on preparing for the internet-based TOEFL test will benefit from the Intensive TOEFL Preparation program. High-intermediate to advanced levels of English proficiency (levels 4 - 8) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during the first week of the program (week 0). Students who do not obtain the required English level proficiency for this program will be transferred to the Intensive Academic English, Communication and Culture, or Intensive Communication and Culture program.
- January 4 - March 5
- March 15 - May 14 (March 26 is a holiday)
- May 24 - July 23 (July 5 is a holiday)
- August 2 - October 1
- October 11 - December 10
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- TOEFL Reading Preparation
- TOEFL Vocabulary Preparation
- TOEFL Writing Preparation
Students may take the Institutional paper-based TOEFL test at the UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI) for an additional fee of $75 USD (price subject to change). The internet-based (iBT) TOEFL is available at several official testing sites in San Diego for an additional fee of $140 USD (price subject to change).
Note: This program can only be taken two times in levels 4 - 8.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- Tuition: $3,500
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance for: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)