Intensive TOEFL Preparation
Who should take this course?
Students and professionals who would like to focus on preparing for the internet-based TOEFL test will benefit from the Intensive TOEFL Preparation program. High-intermediate to advanced levels of English proficiency (ELI core levels 105-110) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during the first week of the program (week 0). Starting in January 2018, Intensive TOEFL Preparation will switch from 10-week sessions to 8-week sessions.
2018 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 3 – March 2
- March 5 – May 4
- May 21 – July 20
- July 23 – September 21
- October 8 – December 7
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- In 2018: 9 weeks – 25 hours per week (first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- TOEFL iBT Preparation Integrated Skills Tasks – Writing and Speaking
- TOEFL iBT Preparation Independent Skills Tasks – Writing, Speaking, and Listening
- TOEFL iBT Preparation Reading and Vocabulary
- Core class focusing on fluency
- Elective course focused on vocabulary development (options available upon arrival)
Students may take the Institutional paper-based TOEFL test at the UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI) for an additional fee of $75 USD (price subject to change). The internet-based (iBT) TOEFL is available at several official testing sites in San Diego for an additional fee of $140 USD (price subject to change).
Note: This program can only be taken two times in levels 105-110.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2018 Tuition: $3,300
- International Student Service Fee: $350
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance for 2018: $405
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)