Intermediate Business Essentials
Who should take this program?
If you have a university degree but little work experience, and you would like an introduction to American business practices through a comprehensive overview of key business topics, Intermediate Business Essentials may be right for you. Intermediate Business Essentials includes curriculum in important business subjects, like cross-cultural communication, human resources, marketing, project management, and bookkeeping. You may take it for one, two, or three quarters of study. This program also incorporates a hands-on experiential learning course that analyzes real-world businesses.
- This program can be taken for one, two, or three quarters.
- You have elective options in quarter two and quarter three.
- Study alongside international and American students in some classes and build your network.
- Apply for Optional Practical Training after three consecutive quarters of study.
Note: Your certificate will read “Intermediate Business Management Essentials.”
2017 Program Dates:
- Fall 2017: September 20 – December 15
- Fall 2017: September 20 – March 23, 2018
- Fall 2017: September 20 – June 15, 2018
The minimum requirements to be accepted in the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Proof of Language Proficiency Requirement:
- TOEFL paper-based: 550
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- TOEIC: 760
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Work experience: one year preferred, but not required
- Official university transcripts, in English, from all universities attended, indicating a strong academic history; include grading key.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field. Must be signed and dated and on university or company letterhead.
- Résumé or CV
- Essay: 200 words explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
Intermediate Business Essentials Program Overview:
1st Quarter (12-15 units)
The first-quarter curriculum includes the following required courses:
- Introduction to Business
- Basics of Project Management
- Business Communication Skills
- Organizational Behavior
- Marketing: Experiential Learning
2nd Quarter (12-15 units)
The curriculum consists of the following required courses:
- Bookkeeping for Business
- The Recruiting Process
- Strategic Cross-Cultural Communication
- Elective–Students will have the opportunity to choose an additional class from a list of business elective courses as determined by the business department.
3rd Quarter (12-15 units)
This marketing module consists of the following required courses:
- Elements of Marketing
- Marketing: Experiential Learning II
- 1-2 other Marketing classes
- Elective–You will have the opportunity to choose an additional class from a list of business elective courses as determined by the business department.
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice. For course descriptions, please click here.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near to campus. Access to a car or other reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2017 One Quarter Tuition: $ 7,000
- 2017 Two Quarter Tuition: $11,500
- 2017 Three Quarter Tuition: $16,000
- International Student Service Fee: $350 per quarter
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585 (1 quarter)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $1,170 (2 quarters)
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $1,800 (3 quarters)
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books will be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)