Who should take this program?
Spend 9 weeks in beautiful San Diego! The International Summer Session combines 4 weeks of university preparation classes with another 5 weeks of university courses at UC San Diego.
During the first 4 weeks, you will have a rigorous schedule of classes at the UC San Diego English Language Institute, covering the following subjects:
- Analytical Reading and Critical Response
- Discussion and Fluency for University Success
- University Lecture and Note-Taking Skills
- Public Speaking
In the final 5 weeks, you will take two UC San Diego classes (8 units), available in nearly all UC San Diego academic departments. Each UC San Diego course is the full curriculum that is normally offered in a 10-week quarter, so two classes in 5 weeks is a full-time study load.
What this program includes:
After 4 weeks of university preparation classes, you will take two UC San Diego classes (8 units), available in nearly all UC San Diego academic departments. You may take 4-8 units (usually one or two classes), and choose from most UC San Diego departments, including:
- Computer Science
- Political Science
- Theatre and Dance
- Visual Arts
- and many more
Course options can be found in the UC San Diego General Catalog. All Summer Session courses are on a space-available basis, so you must select alternate choices on the Supplemental Application Form just in case your first-choice courses are full. Course selections will be submitted to UC San Diego Summer Session for enrollment. Once Summer Session has confirmed course enrollment, you will receive confirmation and acceptance materials from our admissions department. Before you enroll, be sure to review the Summer Session Refund Policy, below. Certain courses may require prior experience in the course subject area. All classes are subject to change or cancellation based on UC San Diego scheduling decisions.
- Session I: May 28 – August 4
- Session II: July 2 – September 8
Please find the minimum acceptance requirements for International Summer Session, below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the Summer Session program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
Prospective students must have one of the following scores to participate in this program:
- TOEFL internet-based: 80
- IELTS 7.0
- Cambridge Proficiency or Advanced Exams: Pass
- CEFR (level B2)
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Most current International Programs Application
- Summer Session Supplemental Application
- Copy of transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies. Transcripts must clearly indicate excellent academic achievement – top 10% in your school.
- A one-page statement explaining your reasons for choosing UC San Diego for your study abroad experience.
- Payment in full
Note: Once admitted into the program, you must maintain above-average final grades in all coursework (“B” or better).
- 5 weeks
- Monday – Friday
- Schedule varies depending on classes chosen
Note: Participating in this educational program does not itself provide preference in admission to the University of California (UC) degree programs. Students interested in applying to UC degree programs should refer to the UC Admissions website, or the websites of other UC campuses they wish to attend for details about their admissions process.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended to obtain the I-20 for the student visa)
- International Summer Session Tuition (8 units): $7,975
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance fee: $450
- UC San Diego International Student Services Fee: $350
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)