ESL Youth Program:
Leadership and Entrepreneurship
Are you a secondary school student, aged 15-17 years old, who would like to build leadership and entrepreneurship skills while gaining better English fluency and an understanding of American business culture?
Leadership and Entrepreneurship is a summer 2- or 3-week UC San Diego academic and residential immersion program which gives you the opportunity to improve your spoken English and listening skills while also learning about American culture and entrepreneurship. Study at UC San Diego, live in the dorms, and explore America's Finest City, San Diego, through recreational and cultural activities and field trips. Prospective Leadership and Entrepreneurship students must have an intermediate level of English.
What this program includes:
- On-campus housing
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner at a campus cafeteria
- UC San Diego English Language Institute business English instruction each week
- Chaperoned field trips to cultural sights and company visits
- Fun recreational activities with an emphasis on learning by doing
- Transportation to and from scheduled field trips
- Constant adult supervision
- All instructional materials
- Guest speakers on American culture and business topics
- July 14 – 27 (two weeks) CLOSED
Below, please find the minimum acceptance requirements for Leadership and Entrepreneurship (LE). We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that all students who are admitted to the LE program have a successful experience. Please submit all required admission documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not submit an incomplete application.
Note: Do not organize flights or pay your tuition until you have received an official acceptance to the program.
Language Proficiency Requirements:
- To be accepted to Leadership and Entrepreneurship, you must first take an online English proficiency test to demonstrate that you have at least intermediate English proficiency. Contact email@example.com in order to access the test.
- Provide a completed English Recommendation Form from a secondary school English instructor, verifying you have an intermediate English proficiency level equivalent to a B1 on the CEFR. This form is included in the 2019 ESL Youth Program Application packet.
Additional Admission Requirements:
- 2 or 3 weeks
- Monday – Friday classes, with evening and weekend activities
- This program does not qualify for an I-20, and an F-1 student visa is not needed
- Example schedule for Leadership and Entrepreneurship
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- Tuition (2 weeks): $4,900 (This price includes tuition, activities, on-campus meals, shared-bedroom housing in dormitories, and chaperones on all field trips and in residence with the students at all times.)
- Tuition (3 weeks): $6,300 (This price includes tuition, activities, on-campus meals, shared-bedroom housing in dormitories, and chaperones on all field trips and in residence with the students at all times.)
- International Student Service fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance (2 weeks): $90
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance (3 weeks): $135
- San Diego airport pick-up fee: $75 (if needed)
- Transportation to San Diego airport for departure: $75 (if needed)
- Additional shared-bedroom housing one night before the program start-date: $85 (if needed)