Who should take this course?
Law students and professional attorneys seeking to develop their English written and oral communication skills will benefit from taking the Legal English program. Through interactive lectures, guided practice, and simulated activities, students build confidence, accuracy, and fluency in:
- Writing case briefs, emails, memorandums, statements of facts, and motions
- Reading, annotating, and analyzing legal documents and cases
- Organizing and leading meetings and teleconferences
- Conducting interviews
- Giving presentations and public speaking
Students with a high-intermediate or advanced level of English proficiency are welcome to take this course. English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
2021 Dates: Legal English
- January 4 - 29
- July 6 - 30
- August 2 - 27
View a complete list of all program dates.
- 20 or 16 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Commercial law
- Criminal law
- Environmental and energy policy and law
- Family law
- Health policy and law
- International law
- Technology and intellectual property
- Real estate
- Labor law
This program includes a visit to a courthouse to observe a public hearing or trial and expert guest speakers on selected areas of business law. Guest speaker dates vary according to availability.
In the 16-hour/week part-time Legal English schedule, not all listed topics will be covered and some projects will be omitted.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- 2021 Tuition: $2,300 (full-time: 20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- 2021 Tuition: $2,050 (part-time: 16 hours per week / 64 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)