This program will offer in-person classes in Winter 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Law students and professional attorneys seeking to develop their English written and oral communication skills will benefit from taking the Legal English program. Through interactive lectures, guided practice, and simulated activities, students build confidence, accuracy, and fluency in:
- Writing case briefs, emails, memorandums, statements of facts, and motions
- Reading, annotating, and analyzing legal documents and cases
- Organizing and leading meetings and teleconferences
- Conducting interviews
- Giving presentations and public speaking
Students with a high-intermediate or advanced level of English proficiency are welcome to take this course. English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (high-beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
Additional Admission Requirements
- Application must include personal statement explaining law-related coursework or work experience, and purpose of taking this program.
- January 4 - 29 - CLOSED
- July 6 - 30 (July 5 is a holiday)
- August 2 - 27
View a complete list of all program dates.
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Commercial law
- Criminal law
- Environmental and energy policy and law
- Family law
- Health policy and law
- International law
- Technology and intellectual property
- Real estate
- Labor law
This program includes a visit to a courthouse to observe a public hearing or trial and expert guest speakers on selected areas of business law. Guest speaker dates vary according to availability.
In the 15-hour per week part-time Legal English schedule, not all listed topics will be covered and some projects will be omitted.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)*
- Full-time Tuition: $2,300 (20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- Part-time Tuition: $2,050 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)**
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
* The FedEx fee is not necessary for the part-time program.
** The part-time program is not eligible for the Form I-20.