Who should take this course?
Students who wish to master specific medical vocabulary and idioms, and improve their ability to communicate in English in a hospital or clinical setting will benefit from the Medical English program.
Students with high-intermediate and advanced levels of English proficiency are welcome to apply to this program. All new students must take an online placement test to determine their English level before starting the Medical English. The placement test is part of the required online pre-arrival orientation. Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (high-beginner, pre-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Participants must have previously taken an anatomy/physiology course.
- January 10 - February 4
- February 7 - March 4
- July 5 - 29 (July 4 is a holiday)
- August 1 - 26
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- 15* or 20 hours per week
- Schedule varies
Students and professionals who want to master medical terminology and increase English fluency within clinical context will benefit from participating in the Medical English program.
- U.S. healthcare delivery system
- The language of patient interaction
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Development of presentation skills
UC San Diego is a major center for medical research and development in healthcare. This program features expert guest speakers from campus and community medical centers and clinics, when available according to campus guidelines. Visits to hospitals and clinics are prohibited because of patient privacy laws. Therefore, we cannot guarantee visits to hospitals and clinics nor observations of actual medical procedures as part of the Medical English program.
In the 15-hour* per week part-time Medical English schedule, writing, pronunciation refinement, reading practice, and vocabulary reinforcement will not be included; guest speakers and field trips will vary according to availability during the schedule of this less intensive program.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- Part-time Tuition: $2,300 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)*, OR
- Full-time Tuition: $2,600 (20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
* Part--time program not eligible for the Form I-20.
Interested in studying Online?
Are you unable to come to the U.S. to study Medical English in person? You may find the following Medical English Online series useful and affordable. These online courses are credit-bearing (1.5 units each) and students can receive an official transcript (for $17) at the completion of the course. Please note that these online classes are not eligible for a certificate. Each online course is only $225 USD.