Special Studies in TEFL
Who should take this program?
If you would like to choose your own schedule of classes from Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and other academic areas, Special Studies in TEFL may be right for you. Special Studies in TEFL is a full-time three-month program of select courses to enhance your preparation and expertise in teaching English. You must enroll in a total of 12 UC San Diego Extension units, with the advice and approval of the TEFL Coordinator.
- January 3 – March 16
- March 27 – June 8
- June 26 – September 7
- October 2 – December 7
Below, please find a list of the minimum requirements for acceptance. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the Special Studies in TEFL program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
In order to participate in this program, you must have one of the following scores:
- TOEFL paper-based: 540
- TOEFL internet-based: 78
- TOEIC: 740
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
- TEPS: 660
Other Admission Requirements:
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of your academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- Tuition: $4,750
- International Student Service Fee: $350
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
If you transfer directly from a 10-week UC San Diego-English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program, you will get a $250 discount on your tuition for the Special Studies in TEFL program.