Special Studies in TEFL
This program will offer in-person classes in Fall 2020, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this program?
If you would like to choose your own schedule of classes from Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and other academic areas, Special Studies in TEFL may be right for you. Special Studies in TEFL is a full-time three-month program of select courses to enhance your preparation and expertise in teaching English. You must enroll in a total of 12 UC San Diego Extension units, with the advice and approval of the TEFL Coordinator.
What this program includes
Although you can build any schedule you want from our course offerings (totaling 12 units), some of our most popular classes are:
- Best Methods in Teaching Listening (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Speaking (3 units)
- Games for the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (3 units)
- Music in the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
- Oral Presentations for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Teaching TOEFL Prep Classes: Paper and Internet (1 unit)
- Visual Media in the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
Students interested in teaching young learners (TEYL) are recommended to take this program and complete our three TEYL classes (9 units) and two additional classes (6 units). TEYL classes include:
- TEYL Classroom Management
- Teaching Young English Learners in the Primary Grades (Ages 4-8)
- Teaching English to the Intermediate Young Learner (Ages 8-11)
Note: TEYL classes cannot be guaranteed and may be cancelled due to low enrollments. If a class is cancelled, the TEFL advisor will assist you in selecting a different class that meets your goals.
- Summer: July 1 - August 28 - All instruction will be by remote learning, either asynchronously or on Pacific Standard Time, due to the COVID-19 situation.
- Fall: October 6 - December 11
- Winter: January 5 - March 19
- Spring: March 30 - June 11
- Summer: June 29 - September 10
- Fall: October 12 - December 10
View a complete list of all program dates.
Below, please find a list of the minimum requirements for acceptance. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the Special Studies in TEFL program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
In order to participate in this program, you must have one of the following scores:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL internet-based: 69
- TOEIC: 690
- IELTS: 5.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
- CEFR: B2
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- PTE: 47
- Duolingo English Test: 85
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
Other Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of your academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020 Tuition: $4,750
- 2021 Tuition: $4,800
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program, you will get a $250 discount on your tuition for the Special Studies in TEFL program.