Teaching English Grammar
Who should take this program?
If you are already enrolled in the full-time Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Professional Certificate program or the Special Studies in TEFL certificate program, and you are interested in attaining additional competencies in teaching grammar, you may also take the Teaching English Grammar (TEG) certificate.
This certificate includes 2 required courses (3 units each) and an additional 6 units of electives. The required courses and electives are not all offered in one quarter. It may take up to three quarters to complete this certificate, and you will need to pay for additional units that are not included within the full-time TEFL and Special Studies in TEFL certificate programs.
What this program includes:
The required core courses are:
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure I (3 units)
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure II (3 units)
Students can choose 6 units from the following courses:
- Grammar and Editing I or II (3 units each)
- Advanced Grammar Seminar (3 units)
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- Winter: January 2 - February 28
- Spring: March 24 - June 5
- Summer: July 1 - August 28 - CANCELED due to the COVID-19 situation.
- Fall: October 6 - December 11
- Winter: January 5 - March 19
- Spring: March 30 - June 11
- Summer: June 29 - September 10
- Fall: October 12 - December 10
Below, please find the minimum requirements for acceptance to this program. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the Teaching English Grammar (TEG) program will have a successful experience. TEG participants must be enrolled in a full-time TEFL certificate program to be eligible to take this concurrent certificate.
Language Proficiency Requirement:
Prospective students must have one of the following scores to participate in this program:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL internet-based: 69
- TOEIC: 690
- IELTS: 5.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
- CEFR: B2
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- PTE: 47
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- TEG certificate Fee: $95 (non-refundable)
- It is possible to take some or most TEG classes as part of your Special Studies in TEFL or TEFL Professional Certificate. Additional classes cost $300-$400 each, depending on the class chosen.
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)