University Preparation Academy
Who should take this course?
The University Preparation Academy (UPA) focuses on preparing you to enter a master’s degree program at a highly selective and competitive American university. UPA students have a rigorous course load focused on writing, research, and speaking excellence. You will develop the skills necessary to meet the high expectations of faculty and peers at America's top universities. Advanced levels of English proficiency (ELI core levels 108-110) are welcome to apply to this program. Your English proficiency is determined during the first week of the program (week 0). Starting in January 2018, the University Preparation Academy will switch from 10-week sessions to 8-week sessions (and 4-week sessions).
Additional Admission Requirements:
- If you are a continuing student coming directly from UC San Diego’s ELI 10-week programs, you must have excellent attendance and grades in previous ELI classes, placement in one of ELI’s highest proficiency levels, and certain minimum scores on ELI’s placement exams.
- You must submit copy of transcripts in English for the four most recent semesters of academic studies. These transcripts must show excellent grades, and that you are in the top 5-10% of your school.
- New students who meet the academic qualifications and would like guaranteed admission to UPA can submit a TOEFL iBT score of 90 or IELTS score of 7.5.
2018 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 3 – March 2
- March 5 – May 4
- October 8 – December 7
- In 2018: 9 weeks (including one week of orientation, testing, and registration)
- 20 hours per week
- Monday – Friday
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- Can be taken for one or two quarters
- Focus on writing, research, and speaking excellence for university success
- Develop effective skills for meeting faculty and peer expectations in the American university classroom
- Matches your goals and record of achievement to university admission standards
- Assistance choosing degree program
- Guidance in the application process to ensure timely and complete submission of university application materials
Essential University Preparation classes, including:
- Research Paper Writing
- Paraphrasing and Summarizing
- Analytical Reading and Critical Response
- Critical Analysis and Discussion
- Synthesis and Critical Response
- Discussion and Fluency for University Success
- University Lecture and Note-taking Skills
- GRE Test Preparation (optional)
Concentrated Academic Skills for University Preparation, including:
- Academic Reading and Writing
- Public Speaking Skills
- Advanced Vocabulary Skills
- Advanced Grammar Skills
Students who complete one or two sessions of 8-week UPA will have the opportunity to continue their studies at the English Language Institute (ELI) until they receive university admission. Students may enroll in the Intensive Pre-University program and/or the University and Professional Studies program before or following completion of one or two quarters in UPA.
Note: Courses are offered on a rotation and course offerings will depend on the session you enter the program. ELI reserves the right to make changes to the program and course offerings because of enrollments and individual student needs.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2018 Tuition (8 weeks): $3,800
- International Student Service Fee: $350
- 2018 UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $405
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250 – $400 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)