UC San Diego will celebrate the 10th
annual International Education Week (IEW)
with a number of free on-campus events open to all students, from Monday, Nov. 17 to Friday, Nov. 21.
As inaugurated by former President Clinton in 2000, IEW is celebrated in more than 100 countries around the world to symbolize the importance of cross-cultural learning.
Under the aegis of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education, IEW provides an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide.
The cross-cultural intent is to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences in the U.S.
UC San Diego’s student population includes some 2,800 undergraduate international students. In addition, UC San Diego’s English Language Institute, a part of Extension, hosts more than 600 international visiting students each quarter through the academic calendar.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for the entire campus to celebrate the many cultures that are represented here on campus,” said Roxanne Nuhaily, executive director of UC San Diego Extension's International Programs.
Scheduled campus activities:
Monday, Nov. 17
Tuesday, Nov. 18
- 11 am to 12 noon: Flag Parade. Participants are invited to bring their own flags and wear their team’s jersey. Site: Starts at Great Hall at I-House and ends at Town Square.
- 12 noon to 2 pm: Grand Opening Ceremony featuring welcome remarks by UC San Diego Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla. International food trucks will be serving wide range of cuisines. Site: Town Square in front of the Student Center.
Wednesday, Nov. 19
- 2 pm to 4 pm: Triton World Cup, featuring competitive soccer matches with some of UC San Diego’s best soccer teams. Site: Warren Field.
Thursday, Nov. 20
- 1:30 pm to 3 pm: International Fashion Show and Cultural Festival. Student groups are urged to participate. Site: International Center.
Friday, Nov. 21
- 11:30 am to 1:30 pm: TEDxUCSD presents Global Talks with five speakers, two TEDx videos and live entertainment to inspire discussion and inspire positive change for both the campus and global communities. Site: Student Center Multipurpose Room.
- 5:30 pm to 10 pm: Open Air International Film Festival. Presenting the first UC San Diego showcase of diverse short films from around the world. Site: Marshall Field.