Fire and Life Safety measures have been developed over the years to ensure safety in the workplace by defining the proper steps to protect building occupants, required protection systems and their maintenance, pathways to egress points and evacuation plans. In addition, it establishes the importance of design and engineering in buildings to provide a reasonable degree of safety from fire and similar emergencies.
This course is designed to provide students with the knowledge and understanding of fire and life safety requirements in the workplace including fire prevention, fire protection, and fire suppression methods. Participants will become familiar with the applicable codes, standards and regulations as well as the history leading to the fire and life safety requirements. Students will learn to apply the requirements to specific workplace situations and maintain these many fire and life safety features.
- History of Fire Safety in the U.S.
- Fire & Life Safety Codes, Standards and Regulations
- Fire Behavior
- Flammable Liquids – use, movement & storage.
- Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Exit Route Requirements
- Fixed Fire Protection, Detection, and Alarm Systems
- Understanding of the Fire and Life Safety measures, systems and equipment.
- Implement procedures to protect occupants in the workplace from fire and similar emergencies.
- Apply requirements to specific workplace situations.
- Maintain fire and life safety features.
- Ability to advance into the Fire Protection Engineering or the Safety and Health Specialist fields.
Software and Hardware: A laptop or desktop computer with access to the internet.
Course Typically Offered: Online during Winter and Fall quarters.
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites to this course.
Next steps: Upon completion of this course, consider taking Principles of Fire Protection Engineering (MAE-40037) or courses in the Fire Protection Certificate or Safety and Health Specialist Certificate.
More information: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about Fire Protection Engineering Certificate offerings. Contact email@example.com for more information on Safety and Health Specialist courses and certificates.
Course Number: FPM-40636
Related Certificate Programs: Fire Protection Engineering, Safety and Health Specialist
+ Expand All
1/15/2021 - 3/12/2021