During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Explore 3D Modeling and Printing with Blender
3D modeling is a fast-developing technology with applications in many fields and careers. Use the open-source program Blender to explore the potential of 3D modeling and printing.
We will start with an introduction to Blender, an extremely powerful tool for 3D modeling. Students will learn how to
use Blender for computer-aided design projects such as 3D printing, tool making and architectural modeling. They will practice re-creating chess pieces in a physical and a digital environment. Students will also learn the basics of
environmental design for video games. The class offers a good starting point for moving on to more advanced 3D
What You Will Learn
- Learn how to set up Blender for 3D modeling
- Get an introduction to basic concepts of 3D modeling and transformation of digital objects
- Learn basic concepts of game design
- Practice re-creating chess pieces in a physical and a digital environment
- Learn how to use Blender for computer-aided design projects
- Learn how to use Blender for environmental design and simulations
Note: During the first week of Junior Academy, this class is shortened to four days because of the Fourth of July holiday.
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
Course Number: CSE-90035
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)