During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Explore the Internet with Python
A basic understanding of how the internet works is a valuable tool in many today’s high-tech careers. Explore the intricacies of the web and then use Python to program simple apps for internet communication.
Students will examine the technology behind the World Wide Web. Then they will get an introduction to the syntax of the Python programming language and the basics of code documentation. Students will use Python to create a variety of small applications that utilize communications over the internet. In building these applications, they will discover how to use existing network systems to make powerful programs. The class is most suited for students with beginning to intermediate experience in a coding language.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Gain a general understanding of the technology behind the World Wide Web
- Learn basics of Python programming syntax
- Become familiar with foundational programming concepts such as conditionals, loops, functions and variables
- Gain experience with socket programming using Python’s Standard Library
- Get an introduction to code documentation and application programming interface protocols
Course Number: WKSP-90111
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)