During this trying time, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have moved this summer’s Sally Ride Science Junior Academy workshops online. These online STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) workshops for students entering 4th-12th grade will be conducted through virtual class meetings using the Zoom conferencing system and the learning platform Canvas.
Design and Build a Tiny-House Model
The tiny-house movement is sweeping the country! Explore how and why people are building houses that take up a fraction of the space of a typical home, and then create your own tiny-house model.
Students will learn about architecture, social responsibility, and community as they envision and design their own tiny houses. They will use simple materials found around the house (including shipping boxes, repurposed rinsed out/not dirty food and fruit containers you would normally throw away) to build scale models of their houses. We will explore concepts including sustainability, functionality and how to incorporate natural light into the house design. Students will practice math skills as they scale their models and workforce skills as they complete their projects within time constraints. To refine their communication skills, students will present their tiny houses to the class. The course offers an inspiring introduction for students interested in architecture and sustainable design.
What You Will Learn
Return to the Sally Ride Science Junior Academy website here.
- Learn what a tiny house is and why it is an important part of our community's sustainable housing goals
- Create tiny-house designs that can withstand challenging environments
- Build scale models of tiny houses using cardboard and found materials
- Learn about tiny houses built entirely of natural waste materials available at the site
- Explore how we can make our cities better and more affordable through "tiny living"
- How to present tiny houses to the class and discuss three key features that were created for a specific reason
Course Number: WKSP-90034
Credit: 0.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
7/13/2020 - 7/17/2020
7/20/2020 - 7/24/2020