The two general California requirements for earning the CCTC CLAD Certificate are:
- Possession of an appropriate valid prerequisite credential.
- Passage of the CTEL examinations, completion of a specified number of units through and approved CLAD Through CTEL program, or a combination of the CTEL exams and coursework with an approved program.
A valid preliminary teaching credential is required for admission to the program. These two requirements are necessary in order to be eligible for a CLAD Authorization. To meet California academic requirements, candidates must complete 18 quarter units or a combination of CTEL Exams and approved coursework.
All candidates must successfully maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better and receive a grade of “C” or higher in each course to be eligible for a formal recommendation to the Commission for a CLAD Certificate. Grades of "C-" or below will not count toward program requirements for recommendation purposes.
The CLAD Through CTEL application is available online. Admissions in on a rolling admission basis so there is no specific application deadline. Each application is reviewed in the order the supporting documentation is received. This includes your official transcript verifying your degree and grade point average that must be submitted directly to the department.
APPLICATION FEE: $0
Upon completion of the requirements for CLAD Through CTEL coursework only candidates or your Planned Course of Study for Combined CTEL Exam & Coursework candidates and must submit the following materials to initiate the online recommendation process to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
Only participants who have finalized their admission to the program and have completed the entire CLAD Through CTEL program are eligible for formal recommendation.
- Submit completed Credentialing Recommend Request form
- The form is available in the Portfolio class
- Official transcript(s) verifying completion of all coursework on your Planned Courses of Study is required.
- This includes any coursework completed at UCSD Extension.
- The Commission will only send the Recommendation notification to the email address they have on file.
- Update your email with the Commission prior to submitting the Request to Recommend.
- UCSD can no longer do so on your behalf.
- Candidates will be required to submit a processing fee directly to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing upon recommendation for the English Learner Authorization.
- This fee must be submitted through the Commission’s online recommendation system and can only be made by debit or credit card.
Please contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require more detailed instructions.