Requirements to earn a California English Learner Added Authorization
The two general California requirements for earning a California English Learner Added Authorization are:
- Possession of an appropriate valid prerequisite credential.
- Passage of the CTEL examinations; completion of a specified number of units through and approved California Teachers of English Learner (CTEL) program; a combination of the CTEL exams and coursework with an approved program; or equivalency evaluation by a Commission approved program sponsor.
A valid preliminary teaching credential is required for admission to the program. These two requirements are necessary in order to be eligible for a English Learner Added Authorization. To meet California academic requirements, candidates must complete 18 quarter units or a combination of CTEL Exams and approved coursework.
All candidates must successfully maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better and receive a grade of “C” or higher in each course to be eligible for a formal recommendation to the Commission for the English Learner Added Authorization (ELA1).
Grades of "C-" or below will not count toward program requirements for recommendation purposes.
All candidates who wish to receive the California English Learner Added Authorization (ELA1) are required to:
- Apply to the English Learner Authorization (CLAD) Through CTEL or English Learner Authorization (CLAD) Through ELD program.
- Finalize your admission to the program.
- Complete all the required online courses with a grade of “C” or better.
- Coursework must be completed within 5 years of beginning the program.
- Submit a Request to Recommend directly to UC San Diego Extension.
The CLAD Through CTEL application is available online. Admissions in on a rolling admission basis so there is no specific application deadline. Each application is reviewed in the order the supporting documentation is received. This includes your official transcript verifying your degree and grade point average that must be submitted directly to the department.
APPLICATION FEE: $0
The CLAD Through CTEL application with the CLAD Through ELD option is available online. Admissions in on a rolling admission basis so there is no specific application deadline. Each application is reviewed in the order the supporting documentation is received. This includes your official transcript verifying your degree and grade point average that must be submitted directly to the department.
The CLAD Through ELD option to earn a CLAD Added Authorization is only available for California prepared teachers that have the authorization of ELAM, ELAS, or ELAE on their current credential.
Any other applicant can only earn the CLAD Through CTEL Added Authorization by completing the full CLAD Through CTEL program.
APPLICATION FEE: $0
Upon completion of the requirements for CLAD Through CTEL coursework only candidates; your Planned Course of Study for Combined CTEL Exam & Coursework; or CLAD Through ELD option candidates and must submit the following materials to initiate the online recommendation process to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Details on the process are covered in the Portfolio class.
Only participants who have finalized their admission to the program and completed the entire English Learner Authorization (CLAD) Through CTEL
program or English Learner Authorization (CLAD) Through ELD
option are eligible for formal recommendation.
- Submit completed Credentialing Recommend Request form
- The form is available in the Portfolio class (CLAD Through CTEL candidates).
- The form in available in the Departmentalized ELD class (CLAD Through ELD candidates).
- Official transcript(s) verifying completion of all coursework on your Planned Courses of Study is required.
- This includes any coursework completed at UCSD Extension.
- The Commission will only send the Recommendation notification to the email address they have on file.
- Update your email with the Commission prior to submitting the Request to Recommend.
- UCSD can no longer do so on your behalf.
- Candidates will be required to submit a processing fee directly to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing upon recommendation for the English Learner Added Authorization (ELA1).
- This fee must be submitted through the Commission’s online recommendation system and can only be made by debit or credit card.
Please contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you require more detailed instructions.