This advanced course is designed to build upon the skills students acquire in the required and elective courses in the Science Communication Certificate program. Students will work on a science writing project of their choice, but will also learn a variety of techniques and modes of communication that will make them more effective communicators of science and other technical subjects to the public.
Topics Covered Include:
- Pitching and writing a freelance science article for general publication
- Writing Op-Eds and letters to the editor
- Interacting with reporters and preparing for a live on-camera interview
- Effectively using videos and social media to communicate science
- Perfecting the art of the news release
- Making science relevant and more accessible to different audiences
Priority for registration will be given to students who have successfully completed required/elective courses for the Science Communication Certificate. However, those individuals who currently work in science-communication-related professions or have experience as science communicators can enroll with academic department and instructor permission.
**Please email the academic department to request enrollment in this course at email@example.com.
Quarters Offered: Fall (in-class)
Course Fee: $395
Prerequisite: Successful completion of required & elective courses within the Science Communication Certificate program is preferred. For a list of these courses, visit the certificate page at extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-programs/science-communication.
Course Number: WCWP-40230
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Science Communication
+ Expand All
9/30/2019 - 12/2/2019