During this trying time brought on by COVID-19, UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. All courses within this certificate program are offered entirely in an online asynchronous format. Online classes will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor.
Learn statistical techniques to analyze clinical data
Biostatistics is an indispensable tool for improving our understanding of biological processes and has a direct impact in ensuring the safety and efficacy of pharmacological and biotechnological products. Biostatistians can be found beyond pharmacological and medical research in various fields and industries, and often work closely with economists, insurance analysts, marketing specialists, and other professionals to analyze data, assure quality control, develop policy, conduct market research, and implement cost controls. In addition, the application of biostatistics has recently expanded to include a wide-range of fields, such as medical imaging, ecological forecasting, and statistical genetics.
Recently updated with more in-depth learning on the most commonly used biostatistical methods, this online certificate in biostatistics emphasizes the application of statistical techniques to the analysis of clinical data. The course sequence begins with basic statistical concepts in biostatistics and then moves to more advanced topics, including the use of SAS, the dominant software for statistical analysis in the field.
In this program, you will develop a clear, solid understanding of statistical methods and their applications, as well as the available software tools needed to carry out biostatistical work. In the final two courses of the program, you will master the types of analysis most commonly used in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries, including simple and multiple linear regression, ANOVA and ANCOVA, simple and multiple logistic regression, and survival analysis.
- Hands-on comprehensive training designed to immerse you in the skills needed to successfully get started in or advance your career
- Graduates will have the skills necessary to apply for positions as junior biostatisticians
- Program is designed to be taken online in the convenience of your own home or office
- Developed and taught by seasoned biostatisticians and other industry professionals
Key Program Topics
- Descriptive and inferential statistics
- SAS programming
- Simple and multiple linear regression
- Simple and multiple logistic regression
- Analysis of variance and covariance (ANOVA and ANCOVA)
- Survival analysis
- Proportional and nonproportional hazards models
- Power and sample size analyses
Program at a Glance
*including the certificate fee, course fees, and required textbooks
*varies by student and courses taken per quarter
12 total units
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program