- The APPLICATION period for our 2021-2022 cohort is closed.
- We are currently focusing on training students with ties to the greater San Diego area, as our mission is to train quality Clinical Lab Scientists and retain them!
- The U.S. postmarked deadline for submitting the program’s Application Form in consideration for acceptance for the cohort is December 31st of each year.
- The deadline for completion of coursework, grade posting and/or conferring of a degree on an official transcript is June 5th of each year. If you currently have coursework and/or a degree pending, please send a current UN-official transcript (and/or proof of enrollment for a single pending course) by the December 31st deadline.
- Please apply for your CLS Trainee License and submit the license or proof of application by the December 31st deadline. If you are called back for an interview, you will be asked to forward an OFFICIAL Transcript from all academic institutions you have attended prior to your interview date.
- Notification to candidates selected and offered a program interview will be made in February of each year. Interviews will be held in March.
Deadline dates listed here/above supersede deadlines and dates previously listed on the program website and Application documents.
Please note the following attributes of our progam:
The San Diego Clinical Laboratory Scientist Training Consortium Program (San Diego CLS Training Program) is a comprehensive 12 month full-time program of instruction in the field of clinical laboratory medicine and technology. In 2021, the program will commence in July. Trainees who successfully complete this training internship will be eligible to take the Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) certification exam offered by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) Board of Certification and the California law exam offered by the California Department of Public Health, Laboratory Field Services (CDPH-LFS).
The San Diego CLS Training Program will provide both theoretical and practical applications of current and relevant clinical laboratory technologies. You will earn a Certificate from UC San Diego Extension; the program provides the professional component of training that prepares qualified laboratory practitioners for service to our profession and community. The goal of the program is to provide trainees with high quality professional training and academic instruction in the field of laboratory medicine to pass a nationally recognized certification examination, obtain state licensure, and meet employment needs of the California healthcare industry. At the conclusion of the program, the trainee will be expected to have achieved solid competency in all core disciplines of the clinical lab, as listed in the required courses matrix located in the "courses" menu below. In California, licensed CLS professionals are permitted to report clinical results of high complexity laboratory testing in addition to waived and moderate complexity testing.
Didactic lectures (approximately one day/week) are hosted by UC San Diego Health’s Center for Advanced Laboratory Medicine facility. Practical training (4 days/week) is gained through hands-on experiences in one of the consortium’s participating clinical laboratory systems of:
- UC San Diego Health
- Sharp Healthcare
- El Centro Regional Medical Center
The San Diego CLS Training Program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS; 5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018-5119). The sponsoring institution, UC San Diego Health was approved by the CDPH-LFS as a training program for Clinical Laboratory Scientists in 2004. Each of the participating affiliate programs of Sharp HealthCare have been approved by the State of California and NAACLS.
Graduation Success Rate of Students:
| ASCP Exam Pass Rate
||Number of Examinees
||Passed 1st Time
|2005 - 2009
The program does not guarantee job placement of graduates; however, all graduates achieved a 100% rate in obtaining a well-compensated career as Clinical Laboratory Scientists. The majority of our students receive multiple career offers prior to graduation.
Note: For more information regarding the program and admission requirements please refer to the PDFs located at the right side of the page under "Related Documents".
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program