UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned all of our courses to an online or hybrid format. Online classes (asynchronous) will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. Hybrid classes are fully online with live (synchronous) virtual class meetings each week using the Zoom conferencing system.
Healthcare Financial Analysis Specialized Certificate
At UC San Diego Extension, our students enjoy stimulating classes taught by practicing professionals and subject matter experts. The Specialized Certificate in Healthcare Financial Analysis provides an applied, hands-on approach to start or advance your career in Healthcare Finance.
AT A GLANCE
Number of courses: 4 (2 required, 2 electives)
Total units: 9
Time to complete: Flexible, 6 to 12 months or more
Estimated tuition cost range: $1,870 - $2,217 (depending on electives selected)
Attend Info session: Sign up here
Learn the various strategies related to finance and accounting when applied to healthcare environments.
Cover the basics of insurance reimbursement, accounting statements, cost allocation, compounding and discounting, financial risk, debt and equity financing, ROI analysis, revenue cycle management, and supply chain management.
Learn intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills as they particularly relate to financial analysis in the healthcare environment.
Acquire the art of visualizing healthcare financial data by learning skills and strategies to prepare and import data into Tableau and create dashboards for financial analysis (elective).
Learn reimbursement methodologies and compliance (elective).
Understand innovative methods, tools and processes to transform data to knowledge and provide a foundation for measurable action (elective).
Work one-on-one with a career counselor. Receive assistance with resume and interview preparation and/or internship search, preparation and application.
Who will benefit?
- Financial Analysts wanting to break into the Healthcare Industry (hospitals, clinics, insurance companies etc.)
- Clinic Financial Managers
- Programmers and Data Managers working in the healthcare industry who need or desire to learn financial analysis
- Junior Business Analysts
- Operations Support Staff and Management in the healthcare industry who need to support financial units especially as it relates to financial allocations and investments
- Nurse Managers in charge of financial statements and management
- Finance Students or recent graduates who need to bridge the gap between what they learned in university and what they need to know to be employed
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the healthcare industry will be adding about 2.4 million new jobs by 2026. Healthcare occupations are projected to add more jobs than any of the other occupational groups. This projected growth is mainly due to an aging population, and an increased number of people covered by insurance, leading to greater demand for healthcare services.
From an accounting and finance perspective, some of the factors affecting the increase in employment include growing mandates to reduce the cost of care while increasing quality, and an unprecedented escalation of mergers and acquisitions of healthcare entities.
In this scenario, the role of Financial Analysts is to:
- Generate financial reports and metrics
- Analyze and communicate the key metrics of financial performance
- Plan and forecast financial activities
- Develop and maintain various financial models used to support decision making
- Guide cost analysis process
- Support field operations analyzing their financial performance and identifying areas of improvement
- All while mastering the specific healthcare industry settings
Attend Info session: Sign up here
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program