Our Specialized Certificate in Geographic Information Systems provides you with the skills to store, analyze, and visualize geographic and spatial data.
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) allow businesses and organizations to leverage spatial and geographic data in logistics, communications, management, planning, decision-making, record-keeping, and engineering across many industries; including business, defense, urban planning, education, government, health and human services, public safety, and transportation. While map-making is the task most often associated with geographic information systems, their large range of applications means GIS professionals can have other responsibilities, including data analysis, predictive modelling, programming, and project management.
You will learn a full range of GIS capabilities in this online certificate program. Program courses begin with basic skills, such as displaying and querying data, and progress to more advanced skills, such as designing and managing databases and analyzing data for specific applications. In the program's capstone course, you will apply the skills you have learned throughout the program to create and present an in-depth research project.
- Practical, comprehensive hands-on training
- Immediately applicable skills
- All courses taught online
- Program can be completed in just over a year
- Industry-neutral curriculum allows you to apply knowledge to your field of interest
- Capstone guided research project and report
Key Program Topics
- Fundamental GIS skills
- Coordinate systems
- Editing geographic and tabular data
- Spatial data analysis
- Geodatabase creation and design
- Geospatial information design and cartography
- 3D data display and analysis
- Basic project management techniques
Demand and Job Prospects
- According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the median wages for a Geographic Information Systems Technicians, Scientists, or Technologists are $86,510 per year nationwide and $91,680 per year in California.
- Geographic Information Systems Technicians, Scientists, and Technologists are O*NET “Bright Outlook” jobs: new and emerging roles in a high growth industry
- According to Burning Glass, top companies hiring individuals with GIS skills nationwide in the past year include AECOM Technology Corporation, Booz Allen Hamilton, ESRI, BAE Systems, Leidos, General Dynamics, the American Planning Association, CACI, and the National Park Service.
Who Will Benefit
- Individuals seeking a career in defense, planning, government, transportation, environmental, or related industries
- Data analysts looking to add spatial data analysis to their skillset
- Individuals desiring to start a career as a geospatial or GIS analyst, scientist, or technician
- Anyone interested in learning high-demand spatial analysis skills
At a Glance
- Number of courses: Five courses
- Total units: 15
- Estimated cost: $4,150
- Time to complete: One year and three months
- Delivery: All courses offered online
For more information about this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program