Introduction to Calculus
This introductory course will introduce students to the different applications of both differential and integral calculus. Major topics covered in differential calculus include optimization and marginal analysis problems for single and multi-independent variable models, as well as applications of the first and second derivatives. Major topics covered in integral calculus include the notion of an anti-derivative, indefinite and definite integrals, and procedures for finding either area under one curve or between two curves.
- Review of Math Principles and College Algebra
- Functions, Limits, and Derivatives
- Applications of Derivatives
- Logarithmic Functions
- Calculus of Several Variables
- Take first derivatives of single independent variable functions using the power, product, quotient, and chain rules.
- Take second derivatives of single independent variable functions to assist in determining relative maximum and minimum values and inflection points.
- Take partial derivatives of multiple independent variable functions.
- Use first and second derivatives to solve characteristics optimization and “Rate of Change” application problems for single and multiple independent variable functions.
- Relate the process of antidifferentiation to the process of differentiation; take antiderivatives of the most common functions found in an applied environment.
- Relate antiderivatives and indefinite integrals.
- Understand the fundamental theorem of calculus, and its implications for applied business problems.
- Relate the definite integral and applications problems requiring knowledge of the area under a curve and how to find the area between two curves.
Course typically offered: Quarterly.
Prerequisites: Knowledge of College Algebra.
Next steps: Upon completion, consider additional Applied Mathematics coursework for continued learning.
More information: For more information about this course, please contact email@example.com.
Course Number: MATH-40017
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
+ Expand All
6/24/2019 - 8/23/2019