Python has emerged as one of the most widespread programming languages in the world, often cited as one of the top 5 most used across many industries. Python code and concepts are straightforward making it uncomplicated to learn, use, and understand. It is a top choice of both novice and experienced programmers. It is a powerful, easy and intuitive language that is suitable for automation, integration and big data analytics.
Python is an open-source language with rich features allowing for rapid application development. It comes with a large standard library that supports many common programming tasks such as connecting to web servers, searching text with regular expressions, reading and modifying files. Application of Python has extend from its original use as a scripting language for post-processing data to extremely complicated tasks such as simulations of large communications systems, data mining and machine learning analysis.
*Check course list below for specifics.
*Cost may vary due to elective course selection.
*Varies by student due to number courses taken per quarter.
The Python Programming Certificate provides students with a set of skills necessary to successfully perform python related programming projects. The courses consist of both practical knowledge and hands-on experience with the Python language and the programming techniques used in the industry. Through the elective courses, students will be able to apply the knowledge obtained to other areas other than technology and experience the benefits of Python.
- Practical knowledge of the Python language and understanding of Pythonic strengths and capabilities
- Hands-on experience designing, writing and debugging computer programs using the Python development environment
- Obtain skills also applicable to other areas including Data Sciences, Finance, Accounting, Web development and Machine Learning
EDC Preferred Provider
The San Diego Regional EDC's Advancing San Diego program is designed to address talent shortages in STEM positions. Students of our program will be eligible for fully-funded internships at San Diego small companies. Learn more about the program by visiting AdvancingSD.com.
Key Program Topics
- General programming concepts including variables, expressions, functions, branching, looping statements and data storage
- Object-oriented programming, testing and test-driven development concepts
- Best practices for working project environments, coding style and documentation
- Working with the Python standard libraries and third-party packages
- Selecting and working with Python web frameworks, including Flask, Django and Pyramid
- Data Analytics using the popular and highly practical Python data analysis ecosystem
- Python Unit Testing using both Python's built in unit test module and the Pytest module
Who Will Benefit
Students can apply Python proficiency to many career paths. The most common types of students in the program are existing professionals that want to update their skill sets, non-programmers and career changers learning programming to enhance their career opportunities and recent graduates building off of existing knowledge in computer engineering or computer science disciplines.
NOTE: Please read Special Notes here below for important information regarding the certificate.
- Number of courses: 3 Required Courses, 1 Elective
- Total Units: 12
- Estimated program cost (including certificate fee): $2,875.
- Time to Complete: 1 Year
- Delivery: Online
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program