UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your educational goals. We have transitioned many of our courses to an ONLINE or LIVE ONLINE format, in an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. We will resume in-person classes when it is deemed safe to do so.
ONLINE classes have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor.
LIVE ONLINE classes are fully online with live virtual class meetings each week using our Zoom conferencing system.
Engage the Minds of Children by Learning the Skills to Become a Successful Children’s Book Illustrator
Gain the skills and education needed to become a children's book illustrator when you enroll in the Children’s Book Illustration certification program. Learn how to capture the imagination, delight the senses, and engage the minds of millions of children daily. You will focus on learning how to translate text into imagery that children can process and enjoy while also sharing accurate information. The program focuses on three areas to help you become a successful illustrator: Know the techniques and skills that captivate children's minds, sustain their attention, and enrich the reading experience.
In-Class & Online
Varies by course and quarter.
Early enrollment discount available. Cost does not include textbooks, materials or parking.
12 -18 months
Dependent on number of courses taken per quarter.
You will also learn to understand storyboarding, basic book structure and format, character development, style, and self-promotional strategies. Lastly, participants will gain knowledge of how to work effectively with designers, editors, and sometimes directly with authors to create the best possible manuscript.
What You Will Learn:
- A solid foundation in the specialized skillsets that improve your chances of getting published.
- An introduction to a wide variety of media and advanced topics required for a thriving career.
- How to build an illustration portfolio in preparation for a capstone Getting Published course.
- Figure drawing, how to draw animals, digital illustration and how to use Adobe products to support production of imagery.
- The art of navigating the children’s book market.
- The history of children’s literature, to provide a deeper understanding of the evolution of this genre.
- How to think in pictures and focus on style as it relates to illustration.
This Program Is Designed For:
- Children’s book creators who are seeking to hone their skillset and enhance their abilities.
- Artists looking to expand their illustration and design expertise.
- Writers seeking to craft a children’s book from content to creation.
- Designers, creative writers and authors desiring to expand their versatility and increase career opportunities.
For further information about this program, please enroll in the online on-demand Children’s Book Writing & Illustration Program Information Session. Questions about our classes or certificates? Contact our department at 858-534-5760 or email@example.com.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program