Copyediting III (WCWP-40238)
10 Weeks | $595 | Online
Are you ready for your first major editing assignment? In this course, you will work on a deadline to perform a heavy edit on all elements of a manuscript. This is the final course in the four-part-class series, and you should leave this course capable of copyediting a variety of materials for more than just the nuts and bolts of spelling, punctuation and grammar. Although this class builds on the material taught in the prerequisite courses, it is a significant step up from Copyediting II. You will immediately use what you've learned to complete the course project: an original manuscript that you can edit to industry standards. In this course, we will discuss, and you will edit for, structural issues, unclear language, factual errors, plagiarism, and potential libel. The significant edits performed means the editor, as well as the author, shares responsibility for the final product, advocating for the reader.
What You Will Learn:
- Perform a heavy edit, correcting fine points in usage and fixing problems that affect the manuscript as a whole.
- Edit all elements of a manuscript, not simply the prose.
- Examine complex problems in English usage, review topics introduced in earlier copyediting (or “copy editing”!) courses.
- Explore documentation, permissions, front and back matter, tables, and illustrations.
- Consideration of editing different genres, and uncomfortable or distressing content.
- Use print and online references to resolve editorial problems.
- Recognize and identify common legal considerations in the field of publishing.
Quarters Offered: Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall | Online
Prerequisite: Copyediting II (WCWP-40237)
Contact: For more information about this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Fulfills 3 units toward requirements for the Copyediting Certificate. This online course is not self-paced. There are assignments and readings with weekly due dates. Please purchase textbooks before class begins.
Course Number: WCWP-40238
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Copyediting
+ Expand All
7/6/2020 - 9/12/2020
7/6/2020 - 9/12/2020