HVAC System Design
This course reviews the advantages and disadvantages of the latest energy efficient HVAC systems including variable air volume, chilled beam, positive displacement, ventilation, variable refrigerant flow, natural ventilation, and hybrid natural ventilation. Various aspects of Green Net Zero Energy Buildings will be discussed in this course.
Broken into the following major categories, this course is focused on reviewing the most advanced HVAC technologies and solutions that save installation, energy, and operational costs: 1) HVAC Systems; 2) Fans; 3) Air Distribution and Zoning; 4) Pumps; 5) HVAC Coils; and 6) Chiller and Boiler Selection. Each course starts with the fundamentals followed by practical application, real life examples, and the most common design solutions. An optional field trip is included.
- HVAC Systems
- Innovative HVAC Solutions for Green Buildings
- Air Distribution Systems
- Fan Curves and Fan Selection
- Piping Design, Pump Curves and Pump Selection
- Coil Selection and Characteristics
- HVAC Zoning
- Indoor Air Quality
- Chiller and Boiler Selection
- HVAC Solutions for Green Buildings
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of various types of HVAC systems.
- Learn about chilled water and hot water piping and pumping design.
- Learn to design basic HVAC systems.
- Learn the advantages and disadvantages of HVAC chillers.
- Lead the process of HVAC system design.
Required Textbook: The Fundamentals of HVAC Direct Digital Controls, Third Edition (ISBN-13: 978-0970447135) Available at: http://www.hvacddc.com
Optional Reading: ASHRAE 2016 Handbook - HVAC Systems and Equipment (ISBN-13: 978-1939200273) and 2015 ASHRAE Handbook - HVAC Applications (ISBN-13: 978-1936504930)
Course Typically Offered: In-Class. Please check course matrix as schedule fluctuates.
Prerequisite: Students should have a desire to learn concepts in heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC).
Next Step: Upon completion of this course, consider taking other courses in the HVAC Systems Design and Control certificate program.
Contact: For more information about this course, please email email@example.com
Course Number: AMES-40021
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Facilities Management, HVAC Systems Design and Control
+ Expand All
4/8/2020 - 6/3/2020