UC San Diego Extension remains committed to helping you achieve your goals. In an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have transitioned all of our courses to an online or hybrid format. Online classes (asynchronous) will have pre-recorded lectures each week and guided assignments from the instructor. Hybrid classes are fully online with live (synchronous) virtual class meetings each week using the Zoom conferencing system.
Human resource management is a dynamic field that has been rapidly evolving. Today's professionals are moving into more proactive roles as human resource planners and organizational consultants, earning recognition at the highest levels of the organization.
Online or In-class*
*Course formats can be mixed to complete certificate.
*Cost varies by capstone selection and curriculum updates.
*Varies by student and courses taken per quarter.
UC San Diego Extension's Professional Certificate in Human Resource Management has helped hundreds of individuals expand their knowledge of HR management to enter or progress in the field. The certificate program is designed to provide participants with the latest information and practical insights in order to become responsible and effective professionals.
- Increase your ability to make a career transition into HR
- Learn practical applications and underlying rationale of today's HR practices from qualified practitioners and subject-matter-experts.
- Gain SHRM and HRCI recertification credits by attending single courses.
- Network with other professionals in the program
- Complement your college degree with career-oriented education
- Facilitate promotions or career changes
- Build and enhance your HR toolkit through evening and online courses
- Improve your image and marketability
- Increase your personal development
Who should attend
The certificate program is designed for individuals looking to advance their careers in Human Resources or want to enter the Human Resources work field. Students may pursue the full program or select individual courses based on their needs.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of human resources managers is projected to grow 7 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations. As new companies form and organizations expand their operations, they will need human resources managers to administer and monitor their programs and to ensure that firms adhere to changing employment laws.
UC San Diego Extension is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP®.
HRCI has pre-approved this activity for recertification credit toward the aPHR®, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, aPHRi™, PHRi™, GPHR® and SPHRi™ certifications. The content of the activity submitted has met the criteria of the Approved Provider Program.
Financial Assistance Opportunities
Vicki L. Krantz Memorial Human Resources Scholarship
Scholarship aimed at supporting individuals at a career crossroads who have demonstrated a life-long passion for learning, hard work, and giving back to the community, but who due to unforeseen circumstances may need financial assistance to retool their skills to gainfully support themselves. The scholarship was created to honor the memory of our beloved friend, colleague, and mentor, Vicki L. Krantz.
This scholarship covers the cost of the Human Resource Management Certificate Program tuition and books.
2021 Scholarship Application Deadline 6/1/21.
To apply for the scholarship please submit the following to HRPrograms@ucsd.edu:
- Statement (up to 500 words) describing actions taken over the years that demonstrate your life-time commitment to learning, why you wish to pursue a career in HR and what you want to achieve, clarification of your personal need for the scholarship assistance, and compelling reasons why you should be the scholarship recipient.
To apply for the program click on the "Apply Now" button.
There will be a $95 fee upon acceptance into the program