With increasing numbers of IoT devices
being connected to the Internet, cybersecurity has become a vital requirement for the safe, reliable, and secure operation of those devices. Cybersecurity is especially important for a Smart Energy DER device as it is connected to the critical electric grid infrastructure. Understanding the threats in the Smart Energy environment, the tools available to combat the threats, and how to apply these tools are important skills for successfully installing and maintaining Smart Energy DER devices.
This course will introduces participants to cybersecurity topics including the purpose cybersecurity, what are the cybersecurity threats, and how do we protect against them. Some of the key components of cybersecurity such as encryption and the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) will be examined in detail. Finally, the course analyzes and applies cybersecurity specifically in the Smart Energy DER use case and the IEEE 2030.5 communication standard.
- The purpose of cybersecurity and the Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability (CIA) model
- Threats - physical access, logical access, communications interception, identity threat, Impersonation, social engineering, supply chain attacks, malware and viruses, unpatched vulnerabilities
- Protections - confidentiality, integrity, availability (access control and authentication), TLS cipher suites, data at rest, data in motion
- Public key infrastructure - purpose, certificates, operation, renewal, revocation
- Cybersecurity in the CA Rule 21/CISP environment - IEEE 2030.5 cybersecurity, threat models and security assessments
- Cypersecurity certifications - FedRAMP, SOC 2, ISO 27001
- Hardware based security
Course Learning Outcomes:
- Identify threat models in general and the Smart Energy DER threat model specifically
- Classify threats in the CIA (Confidentiality, Integrity, Availability) model
- Understand and identify what cybersecurity tools are available to combat the various threats
- Apply those tools to specific threat models like the Smart Energy DER threat model
SunSpec Cyberguardians is a job placement and education program created to prepare military veteran job seekers for career opportunities in the next wave of Distributed Energy Resource (DER) technology. Learn more about the program by visiting cyberguardians.sunspec.org.
Course Typically Offered: Summer
Contact: For more information about this course, please email email@example.com.
Course Number: ECE-40299
Credit: 3.00 unit(s)
Related Certificate Programs: Power Systems Engineering
+ Expand All
9/29/2020 - 11/28/2020
1/12/2021 - 3/13/2021