Who should take this course?
Are you a serious student who would like to focus on developing academic fluency and accuracy in all English language skills? Then the 4-week Academic English program is the program for you. Academic English students will spend considerable time on grammar, reading, and writing. High-intermediate and advanced English proficiency students are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI).
Can I use my tourist (B) visa or ESTA to attend this program?
If you plan to come to the U.S. mainly for tourism, but you also want to improve your English, you can apply to this 4-week program with reduced weekly hours. Instead of 20 hours of instruction per week, you will have 15 hours per week.
2018 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 8 – February 2
- January 22 - February 16
- February 5 – March 2
- March 5 – March 29
- April 2 – April 27
- April 30 – May 25
- May 28 – June 22
- July 2 – July 27
- July 30 – August 24
- August 27 – September 21
- September 24 – October 19
- October 22 – November 16
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies depending on level and courses chosen
- Core class focusing on fluency and accuracy in all language skills. Considerable time spent on grammar, reading, and writing.
Two additional elective courses chosen from the following list:
- Vocabulary Development
- Research Paper Writing
- Advanced Listening and Discussion
- TOEFL iBT Preparation
- Pronunciation and Fluency
- Oral Presentations
Note: Elective courses are on a space-available basis.
In the 15-hour/week part-time Academic English schedule, only one additional class will be selected instead of the usual two additional classes; research paper writing class is not likely to be offered during the schedule of this less intensive program.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended) - not necessary in the 15 hours per week program
- Tuition: $1,900 (20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- Tuition: $1,700 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $140
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Advisory About Variable Enrollments
Enrollment numbers in our Academic, Conversation, and Conversation and Fluency programs vary greatly from month to month. If our placement tests indicate that your English proficiency level does not permit placement in the original 4-week program class, we may place you in 4 weeks of study in a corresponding 4-week or 8-week or 10-week program, or we may provide a combination of classes and individual tutoring to ensure a program of 10 hours per week for 4 weeks. Alternatively, we may decide to place all 4-week program students in level-appropriate classes in a corresponding 4-week, 8-week, or 10-week program in order to provide a program of 10 hours per week for 4 weeks. When this happens the students’ 4-week program will have the features described for the new 4- or 10-week program, not the features described for the original program. The tuition and fees for the students’ 4-week program enrollment will remain the same.