This program will offer in-person classes in Winter 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Students who wish to master specific medical vocabulary and idioms, and improve their ability to communicate in English in a hospital or clinical setting will benefit from the Medical English program. High-intermediate and advanced levels of English proficiency are welcome to apply to this program. English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives at UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (high-beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Participants must have previously taken an anatomy/physiology course.
- January 4 - 29 - CLOSED
- July 6 - 30 (July 5 is a holiday)
- August 2 - 27
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- 20 or 15 hours per week
- Schedule varies
Students and professionals who want to master medical terminology and increase English fluency within clinical context will benefit from participating in the Medical English program.
Topics may include:
- U.S. healthcare delivery system
- The language of patient interaction
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Medical history-taking
- Trauma and emergency care
- Diagnostic and treatment procedures
- Development of presentation skills
UC San Diego is a major center for medical research and development in healthcare. This program features several expert guest speakers from campus and community medical centers and clinics. Visits to hospitals and clinics are prohibited because of patient privacy laws. Therefore, we cannot guarantee visits to hospitals and clinics nor observations of actual medical procedures as part of the Medical English program.
In the 15-hour per week part-time Medical English schedule, writing, pronunciation refinement, reading practice, and vocabulary reinforcement will not be included; guest speakers and field trips will vary according to availability during the schedule of this less intensive program.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- Full-time Tuition: $2,600 (20 hours per week / 80 hours total)
- Part-time Tuition: $2,300 (15 hours per week / 60 hours total)*
- International Student Service Fee: $175
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
* Part--time program not eligible for the Form I-20.
Interested in studying Online?
Are you unable to come to the U.S. to study Medical English in person? You may find the following Medical English Online series useful and affordable. These online courses are credit-bearing (1.5 units each) and students can receive an official transcript (for $17) at the completion of the course. Please note that these online classes are not eligible for a certificate. Each online course is only $225 USD.