Who should take this course?
Students who wish to master specific medical vocabulary and idioms, and improve their ability to communicate in English in a hospital or clinical setting will benefit from the Medical English program. High-intermediate and advanced levels of English proficiency are welcome to apply to this program. English proficiency is determined during orientation at the time the student arrives to UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI). Students who do not obtain the required English level for this program will take Conversation and Fluency (beginner, low-intermediate, and intermediate levels).
Additional Admission Requirements:
- Participants must have previously taken an anatomy/physiology course.
2018 Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- January 8 – February 2
- July 2 – July 27
- July 30 – August 24
- Monday – Friday
- 20 hours per week, mostly 4 hours/day
- Schedule varies
Medical English will focus on the language of medicine in English, both in spoken and written form. It is designed to help you master specific medical vocabulary and idioms and to improve your ability to communicate in English in a hospital or clinical setting. Topics include:
- U.S. healthcare delivery system
- The language of patient interaction
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Medical history-taking
- Trauma and emergency care
- Diagnostic and treatment procedures
- Development of presentation and medical writing skills
UC San Diego is a major center for medical research and development in healthcare. This program features several expert guest speakers from campus and community medical centers and clinics. Visits to hospitals and clinics are prohibited because of patient privacy laws. Therefore, we cannot guarantee visits to hospitals and clinics nor observations of actual medical procedures as part of the Medical English program.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- Tuition: $2,500
- International Student Service Fee: $140
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $180
- Books/Materials: Approximately $150-175 (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Interested in Online?
Are you unable to come to the U.S. to study Medical English in person? You may find the following Medical English Online series useful and affordable. Each online course is only $225 USD: