Leadership and Management
Who should take this program?
If you would like to develop your leadership skills and improve your ability to influence others in the workplace, the Leadership and Management Certificate may be right for you. Designed for professionals with a university degree or at least three years of work experience, this program presents opportunities gain effective management skills and participate in a hands-on project with a local company. Pair the 3-month Leadership and Management program with other Business certificates for a total of 9 months to take advantage of Optional Practical Training.
- Develop leadership, management, communication, and team-building skills needed to be a successful business leader
- After your initial quarter, you can take additional One-Quarter Certificate programs for only $4,500 per program. The other One-Quarter Certificates offered are: Business Analytics and Digital Marketing
- Hands-on experiential project connects your classroom education with real-world businesses
- Courses are led by practicing industry experts
- Study alongside international and American students and build your network
- Schedules are designed to give you the freedom to explore California and the opportunity to attend local professional networking events
- Apply for OPT after three consecutive quarters of study (9 months)
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
2018 Program Dates:
- Spring: March 28 -- June 15
- Summer: June 20 -- September 7
- Fall: September 19 -- December 14
The minimum requirements to be accepted to the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Proof of Language Proficiency Requirement:
- TOEFL paper-based: 540
- TOEFL iBT: 75
- TOEIC: 740
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Certificate: Pass
Additional Admission Requirements:
- University degree or three years of professional work experience
- Official university transcripts, in English, from all universities attended, indicating a strong academic history; include a grading key.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field. Must be signed and dated and on university or company letterhead.
- Résumé or CV
- Essay: 200 words explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- Students must be 21 years old or older to take this program.
There are no final application deadlines to apply for these programs, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
Leadership and Management Program Overview:
- Managing for Maximum Performance
- Business Communication Skills
- Work Team Concepts
- International Business Project
- One elective chosen from your area of interest
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near the campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- Tuition: $7,000
- International Student Service Fee: $350
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment for books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance. Books will be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)