Business Essentials Specialized Track: Leadership and Management
Who should take this program?
If you would like to develop your leadership skills and improve your ability to influence others in the workplace, the Leadership and Management Certificate may be right for you. Designed for professionals with a university degree or at least three years of work experience, this program presents opportunities gain effective management skills and participate in a hands-on project with a local company. Learn how to build and lead teams, communicate your ideas persuasively, and effectively manage projects within a group. Pair the 3-month Leadership and Management program with other Business certificates for a total of 9 months to take advantage of Optional Practical Training.
- Develop the leadership, management, communication, and team-building skills needed to be a successful business leader.
- Hands-on experiential project connects your classroom education with real-world businesses
- Courses are led by practicing industry experts
- Study alongside international and American students and build your network
- Schedules are designed to give you the freedom to explore California and the opportunity to attend local professional networking events
- Apply for OPT after three consecutive quarters of study (9 months)
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
Dates (click here for complete list of program dates):
- Fall 2019: September 18 - December 14
- Winter 2020: January 3 - March 21
- Spring 2020: March 25 - June 12
- Summer 2020: June 17 - September 12
- Fall 2020: September 22 - December 12
The minimum requirements to be accepted into the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Proof of Language Proficiency Requirement:
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- TOEIC: 760
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge First Certificate: Pass
- PTE: 64
- 2019 ELI Core Level: 109
- 2020 ELI Core Level: 108
Additional Admission Requirements:
- University degree or two years of professional work experience
- Official university transcripts, in English, from all universities attended, indicating a strong academic history; include a grading key.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field. Must be signed and dated and on academic or company letterhead.
- Résumé or CV
- A one-page statement explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- A spoken language screening may be required for students applying to all business certificate programs.
There are no final application deadlines to apply for these programs, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
Leadership and Management Program Overview:
- Managing for Maximum Performance
- Business Communication Skills
- Work Team Concepts
- International Business Project
- One elective chosen from your area of interest
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice. For course descriptions, please click here.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near the campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2019/2020 Tuition: $6,000
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment for books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance. Books will be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)