Advanced Studies in TEFL
This program currently offers a hybrid model of instruction, which includes a combination of in-person and online classes.
Who should take this program?
If you would like to choose your own schedule of classes from Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and other academic areas, Special Studies in TEFL may be right for you. Special Studies in TEFL is a full-time three-month program of select courses to enhance your preparation and expertise in teaching English. You must enroll in a total of 12 UC San Diego Extension units, with the advice and approval of the TEFL Coordinator.
What this program includes
Although you can build any schedule you want from our course offerings (totaling 12 units), some of our most popular classes are:
- Best Methods in Teaching Listening (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Speaking (3 units)
- Games for the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (3 units)
- Music in the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
- Oral Presentations for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Teaching TOEFL Prep Classes: Paper and Internet (1 unit)
- Visual Media in the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
Students interested in Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) are recommended to take this program and complete our three TEYL classes (9 units) and two additional classes (6 units). TEYL classes include:
- TEYL Classroom Management
- Teaching Young English Learners in the Primary Grades (Ages 4-8)
- Teaching English to the Intermediate Young Learner (Ages 8-11)
Note: TEYL classes cannot be guaranteed and may be cancelled due to low enrollments. If a class is cancelled, the TEFL advisor will assist you in selecting a different class that meets your goals.
- March 30 - June 11
- June 29 - September 10
- October 12 - December 10
- January 4 - March 18
- March 29 - June 10
- July 5 - September 16 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - December 9
View a complete list of all program dates.
Below, please find a list of the minimum requirements for acceptance. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the Special Studies in TEFL program will have a successful experience.
2021 Language Proficiency Requirement
In order to participate in this program, you must have one of the following scores:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL internet-based: 69
- IELTS: 5.5
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
- CEFR: B2
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 85
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 47
- TOEIC: 690
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI Academic Advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
2022 Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
Other Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of your academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
There are no final application deadlines to apply for this program, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the Advanced Studies in TEFL.
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- 2021/2022 Tuition: $4,800
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program, you will get a $250 discount on your tuition for the Special Studies in TEFL program.