TEFL Proficiency Program
This program will offer in-person classes in Fall 2020, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this program?
If you would like a foundation course in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Proficiency program is right for you.
What this program includes:
Students can choose five courses (15 units) from the following areas:
- Theoretical Foundations
- Teaching English to the Young Learner
We recommend the following classes for TEFL Proficiency students:
- Introduction to Pronunciation and Fluency for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (3 units)
- Introduction to Writing (3 units)
- Oral Presentations for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Summer: July 1 - August 28 - CANCELED due to COVID-19
- Fall: October 6 - December 11
- Winter: January 5 - March 19
- Spring: March 30 - June 11
- Summer: June 29 - September 10
- Fall: October 12 - December 10
View a complete list of all program dates.
Below, please find the minimum acceptance requirements. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEFL Proficiency program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
You must have one of the following test scores to participate in this program:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL internet-based: 69
- TOEIC: 690
- IELTS: 5.5
- Cambridge FCE or Advanced Exams: Pass
- CEFR: B2
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- PTE: 47
- Duolingo English Test: 85
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
Additional Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of your academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2020 Tuition: $5,950
- 2021 Tuition: $6,000
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC SanDiego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Institute TEFL program, you will get a $250 USD discount on your tuition for the TEFL Proficiency program.