TEFL Proficiency Program
This program currently offers a hybrid model of instruction, which includes a combination of in-person and online classes.
Who should take this program?
If you would like a foundation course in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Proficiency program is right for you.
What this program includes:
Students can choose five courses (15 units) from the following areas:
- Theoretical Foundations
- Teaching English to the Young Learner
We recommend the following classes for TEFL Proficiency students:
- Introduction to Pronunciation and Fluency for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (3 units)
- Introduction to Writing (3 units)
- Oral Presentations for Language Teachers (3 units)
- March 30 - June 11
- June 29 - September 10
- October 12 - December 10
- January 4 - March 18
- March 29 - June 10
- July 5 - September 16 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - December 9
View a complete list of all program dates.
Below, please find the minimum acceptance requirements. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEFL Proficiency program will have a successful experience.
2021 Language Proficiency Requirement
You must have one of the following test scores to participate in this program:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL internet-based: 69
- IELTS: 5.5
- CEFR: B2
- Cambridge FCE or Advanced Exams: Pass
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 85
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 47
- TOEIC: 690
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI Academic Advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
2022 Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
Additional Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of your academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
There are no final application deadlines to apply for this program, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the TEFL Proficiency Program.
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- 2021/2022 Tuition: $6,000
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC SanDiego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Institute TEFL program, you will get a $250 USD discount on your tuition for the TEFL Proficiency program.