TEFL Proficiency Program
Who should take this program?
If you would like a foundation course in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Proficiency program is right for you.
What this program includes:
The curriculum consists of the following core courses:
- Introduction to Pronunciation and Fluency for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Introduction to Teaching English as a Foreign Language (3 units)
- Introduction to Teaching Writing (3 units)
- Oral Presentations for Language Teachers (3 units)
- September 26 – December 8
- January 3 – March 16
- March 27 – June 8
- June 26 – September 7
- October 2 – December 7
Below, please find the minimum acceptance requirements. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEFL Proficiency program will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
You must have one of the following test scores to participate in this program:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL internet-based: 69
- TOEIC: 690
- IELTS: 6.0
- Cambridge FCE or Advanced Exams: Pass
- TEPS: 600
Additional Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of your academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars):
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2017 Tuition: $4,750
- International Student Service Fee: $350
- UC SanDiego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
If you transfer directly from a 10-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Institute TEFL program, you will get a $250 USD discount on your tuition for the TEFL Proficiency program.