How to Apply
Click here for the 2017 International Programs Application Form
Click here for the 2018 International Programs Application Form
Print it out and fax, mail, or email it to us at:
University of California, San Diego
Extension International Programs
9600 N. Torrey Pines Road, Bldg. E
La Jolla, CA 92037-1100
Email email@example.com to ask for a copy of our brochure and application form to be sent to you.
Transfer students must submit an Academic Verification Form with their application. Please email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Application, Program Change, and Late Registration Fees
Application fees are not transferable to different programs. Paying an application fee does not guarantee admission or conditional admission to any program. Your acceptance to a program depends on the space available in the program, your qualifications for admission to the program, and the time we have available to process your application and issue your acceptance materials. For more information about application fees, please contact email@example.com.
ISS Program Change Fee:
A change in program or in start-date for a program incurs a $150 program change fee, regardless of the reason for the change.
Late Registration Fee:
Are you a CONTINUING student? If so, you must complete your registration by the last day of the announced continuing-student registration period for your program. If not, you will be charged a $200 Late Registration Fee. Whether or not you have already applied and met the admission requirements for the next program, it is mandatory to register in person so that we can confirm your immigration status and local address. We announce the continuing-student registration periods for all programs to all students by email far in advance of the registration period so you can prepare for it in good time.
If you are a NEW student, you must complete your registration in person by the end of the first day of your program. If not, you will also be charged the $200 Late Registration Fee.
When to Apply
For all of our programs, there are no strict application deadlines. It is best to apply 12-16 weeks before the program start-date to allow enough time for us to process your application and for you to make your visa and travel arrangements.
Below, please find the suggested deadlines for the University and Professional Studies (UPS) program. For specific program start-dates, click here to see UC San Diego Extension International Program dates and prices.
UPS Application Deadlines:
- Winter 2018: November 3, 2017
- Spring 2018: February 9, 2018
- Summer 2018: May 11, 2018
- Fall 2018: July 27, 2018
We will continue to accept applications after the suggested deadline on a space-available basis.
Please do not arrange student visa interviews, housing, and flights until you have received an official letter of acceptance and/or received your I-20.
Certificates with the UC San Diego university seal are awarded upon successful completion of your programs. Excellent attendance is an important part of certificate eligibility in all programs.
We must receive all required fees and tuition in our office 30 days before the published program start-date. Summer Session payments are due at the time of application. Accepted methods of payment: Credit card (VISA/Master Card/AMEX/JCB/Discover and Diner's Club), traveler's checks (in person only - do not mail traveler's checks), personal check (only drawn on U.S. bank), money order or cashier's check (drawn in U.S. currency on a U.S. bank), bank wire (please see directions, below), or cash (in person only - do not mail cash). We cannot accept Euro checks or electronic transfers (ACH).
UC San Diego Extension International Programs works with Western Union Business Solutions to provide international students with a low-cost option for paying their student invoice in their home currency. Western Union Business Solutions offers a competitive rate of exchange for processing payments in many international currencies. It allows students, their families, or sponsors the opportunity to securely send bank-to-bank transfers for payment of tuition and fees in their home currency.
How to pay your invoice using Western Union Business Solutions:
For an individual payment:
- Open this UC San Diego Western Union webpage to make an individual payment: https://student.globalpay.wu.com/geo-buyer/ucsdextension
- Select the language
- Select the Country
- Enter all student details (Boxes marked with a * are required.)
For a group payment:
- Open this UC San Diego Western Union webpage if you are a partner sending a payment for a group of students: https://student.globalpay.wu.com/geo-buyer/ucsdextgroup
- Select the language
- Select the Country
- Enter Group Name (the Group Name could be the name of the University or agency the students are being referred by)
- Enter Last Name, First Name (as shown on their passport) for all students in the “For group payments” field (Boxes marked with a * are required.)
For all payments you must remember to:
- Enter the total amount you wish to pay on your student invoice(s).
- Select payment currency
- If your local currency is not an option available on the form, then you need to choose another currency on the list (e.g., United States Dollar - USD) in order to complete the form. You will need to purchase the selected form of currency from your bank prior to making the wire transfer through Western Union.
- Select “Who is Paying”
- Enter the name of the bank where the payment will be made from
- Print the Payment Instructions and contact your bank or financial institution (online, phone, or in-person)
- Please initiate your payment as soon as possible
- To ensure that your funds are successfully received by UC San Diego, the reference transaction ID number must be included on your bank’s payment instructions. If this reference is missing the payment will not be credited to your account.
- After you complete the transfer, Western Union will forward the US dollar amount to UC San Diego Extension International Programs where it will be credited to your student account(s).
If you have any questions regarding Western Union Business Solutions, you may contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions about your UC San Diego Extension International Programs invoice, you may contact our Lead Financial Advisor, Stacy Warneke, at email@example.com.
It takes 10-15 days for money sent by bank wire to be posted to a student's account, and payments made by credit card are sometimes delayed because of credit card limits. Due to these delays, we strongly recommend that students or their agents complete payment of all tuition and fees at least 45 days before their published program start-date to ensure timely receipt and recording of payment and to avoid delays in allowing the student to begin his or her program. Note: Please do not send payment until you have received an official acceptance letter, the I-20 (if required), AND an invoice from our Financial Coordinator.
Note: If sending a bank wire, please remember to immediately send all bank wire information to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can identify payment at the campus bank wire office and credit the student's account before the program begins.
UC San Diego Extension medical insurance is MANDATORY for all students. The cost for UC San Diego Medical Insurance will be:
- Programs shorter than 4 weeks: $45 per week
- 2-week programs: $90
- 4-week programs: $180
- 5-week Summer Session: $225
- 8-week ELI: $405
- International Summer Session (9 weeks): $450
- 10-week ELI and University & Professional Studies: $585
- Certificate Programs - 1 quarter: $585
- Certificate Programs - 2 quarters: $1,170
- Certificate Programs - 3 quarters: $1,800
- Certificate Programs - 4 quarters: $2,340
UC San Diego Medical Insurance Coverage:
- Unlimited coverage for medically necessary health care, including pre-existing conditions and mental health care
- Unlimited coverage for medical evacuation
- Unlimited coverage for repatriation of remains
- 100% coverage for all medical care after the $100 USD deductible per person, per policy year
- 100% coverage for prescription drugs after payment of the required co-payments for each prescription. Co-payments are from $10 to $50 per prescription.
The UC San Diego Extension medical insurance policy for international students covers hospitalization and other medical expenses, with some exceptions, but not dental or eye care. Medical insurance is non-refundable. For information on this requirement, contact our staff at email@example.com.
NOTE: In December there is a gap in insurance coverage between academic quarters. UC San Diego Extension medical insurance coverage ends one week after each quarter’s end date. In December, there is a period when you will have no insurance coverage unless you purchase additional coverage. If you are a 10-week ESL or UPS student continuing from fall to winter quarter, you must purchase extra UC San Diego Extension medical insurance for the gap weeks between your fall and winter programs. The additional UC San Diego medical insurance will cost $45 per week. You must pay for this insurance during the scheduled continuing registration times at the end of the quarter.
TB Assessment Form
A Tuberculosis (TB) Assessment Form is required by UC San Diego for international students who will participate in our university credit and certificate programs. These programs include:
- Intensive Pre-University
- Summer Session
- International Summer Session
- University and Professional Studies
- Academic Year Program
- Academic Connections International
- Any other university credit program
If you plan to take one of the courses listed above, you must submit a TB Assessment Form. The TB Assessment Form must be completed by a healthcare provider who can read and fill in the form in English. Thirty days before the program start, you must send the completed TB Assessment Form to UC San Diego Extension International Programs by fax, +1-858-534-5703, or email, firstname.lastname@example.org. The TB Assessment Form is not required for English language programs. Questions? Please email email@example.com.