Who should take this program?
If you would like a strong foundation in digital marketing with up-to-date information on digital marketing topics and trends, the Digital Marketing Certificate may be right for you. This program presents opportunities for you to acquire the knowledge and skills needed to design innovative marketing plans, implement successful digital marketing tactics, and advance your career through a hands-on project with a local company. You will develop an understanding of which marketing channels contribute to a cohesive online presence, and explore areas such as organic and paid searches, social media, and email marketing. You will also learn to identify key performance indicators and assess the performance of each digital marketing channel by using Google Analytics and other online data tools. Pair the 3-month Digital Marketing Certificate program with other Business certificates for a total of 9 months to take advantage of Optional Practical Training.
- Develop digital marketing skills and knowledge needed to be a successful digital marketer
- Hands-on experiential project connects your classroom education with real-world businesses
- Courses are led by practicing industry experts
- Study alongside international and American students and build your network
- Schedules are designed to give you the freedom to explore California and the opportunity to attend local professional networking events
- Apply for OPT after three consecutive quarters of study (9 months)
Note: UC San Diego follows a quarter system. Each quarter consists of 10-12 weeks of full-time study. There are four quarters per year.
Digital Marketing Program Overview
- Digital Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Digital Marketing Analytics
- Marketing Project
- One elective course
- Behavioral Economics
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Elements of Marketing
Note: Courses are subject to change without notice. Check out the Digital Marketing course descriptions.
- Winter: January 5 - March 19
- Spring: March 24 - June 11
- Summer: June 17 - September 3
- Fall: September 16 - December 10
View a complete list of all program dates.
The minimum requirements to be accepted to the program are listed below. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted will have a successful experience.
Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 80
- TOEIC: 760
- IELTS: 6.5
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate: Pass
- PTE: 64
- Duolingo English Test: 105
- ELI Core Level: 108
Additional Admission Requirements
- University degree or two years of professional work experience
- Official university transcripts, in English, from all universities attended, indicating a strong academic history; include a grading key.
- Letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor attesting to your experience and ability to excel in the relevant field. Must be signed and dated and on academic or company letterhead.
- Résumé or CV
- A one-page statement explaining your qualifications and motivation for taking the program
- A spoken language screening may be required.
- Prospective students who choose to attend English language courses at the UC San Diego English Language Institute (ELI) in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score will need recommendation from the ELI advisor.
There are no final application deadlines to apply for these programs, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
- Monday – Friday, occasional Saturdays
- Daytime and evening courses
- Schedule varies
Classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla or at the off-site University City Center near the campus. Access to a car or another source of reliable transportation is required for evening and off-site classes.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- FedEx fee: $50 (optional, but recommended)
- 2021 Tuition: $6,250
- International Student Service fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585
- Books/Materials: Approximately $300-$800 per quarter (Payment for books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance. Books will be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)