Communication & Culture
This program will offer in-person classes in Summer 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Students who have a general interest in improving their English fluency, ability to speak and understand everyday spoken English, and increase their knowledge of American culture, will benefit from the Communication and Culture English language program.
All levels of English proficiency (levels 1 - 8) are welcome to take this program. All new students must take an online placement test to determine their English level before starting the Communication & Culture program. The placement test is part of the required online pre-arrival orientation.
- May 24 - July 23 (May 31 and July 5 are holidays)
- August 2 - October 1
- October 11 - December 10
- January 3 - March 4
- March 14 - May 13
- May 23 - July 22
- August 1 - September 30
- October 10 - December 9
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 15* or 20 hours per week (the first week is in-person orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- Classes for fluency and comprehension
- Everyday speaking and understanding
- American society and culture
- Wide variety of elective courses
Elective Courses (depending on student’s English proficiency level)
- Listening through TV and Music
- American Music
- American Film
- TOEFL/TOEIC Preparation
- Idioms and Slang
- Everyday English
- American Culture
- Vocabulary Development
- Reading and Writing
- Current Events
- Oral Presentations
- Phrasal Verbs
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
*The part-time program does not qualify for the form I-20.
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- 2021 Part-time Tuition: $2,900 (15 hours per week / 120 hours total)*, OR
- 2021 Full-time Tuition: $3,100 (20 hours per week / 160 hours total)
- 2022 Part-time Tuition: $3,000 (15 hours per week / 120 hours total)*, OR
- 2022 Full-time Tuition: $3,200 (20 hours per week / 160 hours total), OR
- 2022 Full-time Tuition: $3,700 (25 hours per week / 200 hours total)
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250-$400
(Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)