Communication & Culture
This program will offer in-person classes in Winter 2021, with a hybrid model of instruction.
Who should take this course?
Students who have a general interest in improving their English fluency, ability to speak and understand everyday spoken English, and increase their knowledge of American culture, will benefit from the Communication and Culture English language program. All levels of English proficiency (levels 1 - 8) are welcome to take this program. A student’s English proficiency level will be determined during the first week of the program (week 0).
- January 4 - March 5
- March 15 - May 14 (March 26 is a holiday)
- May 24 - July 23 (May 31 and July 5 are a holidays)
- August 2 - October 1
- October 11 - December 10
View a complete list of all program dates.
- Monday – Friday
- Classes are held between 8:30 – 4:30 PM
- 9 weeks – 15 or 20 hours per week (the first week is testing, orientation & registration)
- Schedule varies depending on level and classes chosen
- Classes for fluency and comprehension
- Everyday speaking and understanding
- American society and culture
- Wide variety of elective courses
Elective Courses (depending on student’s English proficiency level)
- Listening through TV and Music
- American Music
- American Film
- TOEFL/TOEIC Preparation
- Idioms and Slang
- Everyday English
- American Culture
- Vocabulary Development
- Reading and Writing
- Current Events
- Oral Presentations
- Phrasal Verbs
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
*The part-time program does not qualify for the form I-20.
- Application Fee: $150 (nonrefundable)
- Full-time Tuition: $3,100 (20 hours per week / 160 hours total)
- Part-time Tuition: $2,900 (15 hours per week / 120 hours total)*
- International Student Service Fee: $380
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $450
- Books/Materials: Approximately $250-$400
(Payment for all books and instructional materials CANNOT be made in advance and are to be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)