TEFL Professional Certificate
This program currently offers a hybrid model of instruction, which includes a combination of in-person and online classes.
Who should take this program?
If you would like to develop modern English language teaching techniques to teach English in non-English speaking countries and in U.S. classrooms, enroll in the Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Professional Certificate program. The TEFL Professional Certificate program opens doors to job opportunities both abroad and in the U.S. Learn best practices and methodology for teaching EFL students from our dynamic instructors who have years of experience teaching all over the world.
The TEFL Professional Certificate can be completed in two ways:
1. TEFL Professional Certificate:
Take 6 months of full-time TEFL classes at UC San Diego.
The 2021 TEFL Professional Certificate dates:
- January 5 - June 11
- March 30 - September 10
- June 29 - December 10
- October 12 - March 18, 2022
The 2022 TEFL Professional Certificate dates:
- January 4 - June 10
- March 29 - September 16
- July 5 - December 9 (July 4 is a holiday)
- October 4 - March 17, 2023
2. TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid):
Take 3 months of full-time TEFL classes at UC San Diego during the winter or summer quarters and complete the rest of the certificate online from your home country, according to your schedule.
On-campus courses for the 2021 TEFL Professional Certificate Hybrid are offered:
On-campus courses for the 2022 TEFL Professional Certificate Hybrid are offered:
- January 4 - March 18
- July 5 - September 16 (July 4 is a holiday)
What this program includes
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure I (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Listening Skills (3 units)*
- Best Methods in Teaching Pronunciation and Fluency (3 units)
- Best Methods in Teaching Speaking Skills (3 units)
- Teaching Writing for Academic and Professional Purposes (3 units)*
- Theories and Methods of Language Teaching and Learning (3 units)*
- Theory and Methods of Reading Instruction (3 units)*
In addition, we offer a variety of one-unit workshops and three-unit elective courses. You will need to choose 3 units of electives, depending on what is offered each quarter. Some examples are:
- TEFL Practicum: Best Methods in Developing and Delivering Lesson Plans (3 units) -strongly recommended
- Advanced Analysis of English Sentence Structure II (3 units)
- Games for the EFL Classroom (1 unit)
- Grammar and Editing I or II (3 units)
- Oral Presentations for Language Teachers (3 units)
- Teaching Language Through Art (1 unit)
- Teaching TOEFL Prep Classes: Paper and Internet (1 unit)
Courses marked with an asterisk (*) are available online as part of the TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid). Enroll in the four required online classes on the main Extension web page. You can then join the online classes from your home country, according to your schedule.
Below, please find the minimum requirements for acceptance to this program. We carefully review the background and qualifications of each applicant to ensure that those admitted into the TEFL Certificate program will have a successful experience.
2021 Language Proficiency Requirement
You must have one of the following test scores to participate in the 6-month and Hybrid formats of the TEFL Professional Certificate:
- TOEFL paper-based: 525
- TOEFL iBT: 69
- IELTS: 5.5
- CEFR: B2
- Cambridge Advanced or Proficiency Exams: Pass
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 85
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 47
- TOEIC: 690
- GTEC CBT: 1126
- EIKEN: Pre-1
- Recommendation letter from UC San Diego ELI Academic Advisor for prospective students who excelled in ELI courses and programs (in place of obtaining an official language proficiency score)
2022 Language Proficiency Requirement
- TOEFL iBT: 79
- IELTS: 6.5
- CEFR: B2/C1
- Cambridge Scaled Score: 180 - C1 Advanced
- Duolingo English Test (DET): 110
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): 58
- Listening: 445
- Reading: 420
- Speaking: 170
- Writing: 165
Additional Admission Requirements
- Copy of your transcripts in English for the two most recent years of academic studies
- A one-page statement explaining why you would like to take any TEFL Certificate program
There are no final application deadlines to apply for this certificate, but all programs close when they are full. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis until all seats available are taken by the most qualified applicants.
All enrolled students are required to complete an online pre-arrival orientation before starting the TEFL Professional Certificate.
- Monday – Thursday, occasional Saturdays
- Afternoon and evening courses; no morning courses
- Schedule varies
All classes are held on the UC San Diego Extension campus in La Jolla.
Cost (in U.S. dollars)
- Application Fee: $200 (nonrefundable)
- 2021/2022 6-month TEFL Tuition: $8,350
- 2021/2022 TEFL Hybrid Tuition (excluding online courses): $4,800
- TEFL Hybrid online Tuition: $450 per class
- International Student Service Fee: $380 per quarter
- UC San Diego Extension medical insurance: $585 per quarter
- Books/Materials: Approximately $200-$800 per quarter. (Payment CANNOT be made in advance. Books and materials must be purchased upon arrival at UC San Diego.)
Discount on the 6-month, Intensive, and Hybrid formats:
If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program, you will receive a $500 discount on your tuition for the six-month TEFL Professional Certificate. If you transfer directly from a 8-week UC San Diego English Language Institute ESL program or UC San Diego English Language Institute TEFL program to the TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid), you will receive a $250 discount on the tuition of the TEFL Professional Certificate (Hybrid format).