1. Do I need a student visa (F-1) to attend your programs?
If your main intent in coming to the U.S. is to study, you should apply for a student visa. Or, if you are coming to the U.S. mainly for tourism, and you also want to take English language classes for your own pleasure or as recreation, then a tourist visa (B-2) or Visa Waiver (WT) is appropriate. If you are not sure whether study or tourism is your main intent, explain your plans to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country and they will advise you on the appropriate visa to apply for. You should not schedule a visa interview until you have received our acceptance letter and other acceptance materials.
2. How much money do I need to study in the U.S.?
You can calculate your total estimated expenses by using the chart found on page A5 of UC San Diego Extension International Programs application. We must receive proof of these total available funds in order to issue the Form I-20 for full-time study programs.
If you plan to bring your spouse and/or children, your financial verification must include an additional $500 per month for your spouse and $300 per month for each child.
3. How long will it take to receive my acceptance information?
We will mail your acceptance information within 2-3 weeks after we receive a complete application with all required documents and fees. For fast delivery, we recommend you choose the express mail option–see Payment Procedure in the application. Applications without express mail take an average of 6-10 weeks for delivery.
4. How do I apply for housing?
Refer to our brochure or website for information on available accommodation options. When you are ready to apply, contact the individual accommodation company for their applications and additional information. Students in Summer Session programs should refer to the UC San Diego Summer Housing Website.
5. How and when do I send payment?
Total fees and tuition must be received in our office 30 days prior to the published program start-date. Summer Session payments are due at time of application. Accepted methods of payment: Credit card (VISA/Master Card/AMEX/JCB/Discover and Diner’s Club), traveler’s checks (in person only – do not mail traveler’s checks), personal check (only drawn on U.S. bank), money order or cashier’s check (drawn in U.S. currency on a U.S. bank), bank wire (please see directions below), or cash (in person only – do not mail cash). We cannot accept Euro checks or electronic transfers (ACH).
UC San Diego Extension International Programs works with Western Union Business Solutions to provide international students with a low-cost option for paying their student invoice in their home currency. Western Union Business Solutions offers a competitive rate of exchange for processing payments in many international currencies. It allows students, their families, or sponsors the opportunity to securely send bank-to-bank transfers for payment of tuition and fees in their home currency.
How to pay your invoice using Western Union Business Solutions:
A. For an individual payment:
- Open the UC San Diego Western Union webpage to make an individual payment. To access the UC San Diego Western Union webpage for individual payment, please click here.
- Enter all student details (Boxes marked with a * are required.)
- Refer to the box below labeled, “For All payments…”
B. For group payment:
- Open the UC San Diego Western Union webpage if you are a partner sending a payment for a group of students. To access the UC San Diego Western Union webpage for group payments, please click here.
- Enter Last Name, First Name (as shown on their passport) for all students in the “Special Payment Application Instructions” field (Boxes marked with a * are required.)
- Refer to the box below labeled, “For All payments…”
For ALL payments, please remember to:
- Enter the total amount you wish to pay on your student invoice(s).
- Select payment currency
- If your local currency is not an option available on the form, then you need to choose another currency on the list (e.g., United States Dollar – USD) in order to complete the form. You will need to purchase the selected form of currency from your bank prior to making the wire transfer through Western Union.
- Check the box to receive a copy of the instructions. If you are not the student, enter your payer details.
- Agree to the information and click “submit.”
- Print the PDF and take it to your bank to complete the transfer. Note: The print-out is valid for 72 hours; be sure to complete the transfer at your bank during that time.
- After you complete the transfer, Western Union will forward the US dollar amount to UC San Diego Extension International Programs where it will be credited to your student account(s).
If you have any questions regarding Western Union Business Solutions, you may contact them directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about your UC San Diego Extension International Programs invoice, you may contact our Financial Coordinator, Stacy Warneke, at email@example.com.
Payment of all tuition and fees must be completed at least 30 days before their published program start-date to ensure timely receipt and recording of payment and to avoid delays in allowing students to begin their programs. Please do not send payment until you have received an invoice from our Financial Coordinator.
Note: If sending a bank wire, please remember to immediately send all bank wire information to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can identify payment at the campus bank wire office and credit the student’s account before the program begins.